Add help page

@goob and @steffenvanbergerem if you have some time to accord to this topic :wink:

Why not create a diaspora Wikibook?

Why create one? What does it do that our wiki can’t do?

@jonnehass The only things I can think of, are:

• It requires that you leave the domain of your chosen pod
  • It doesn’t allow for per pod customizations such as listing rules and TOS.

Other than that, the wiki is just fine :smiley:

@starblessed that was in reply to @karthikeyanak, not to the general topic.

Oh, my bad @jonnehass . I thought it was a question. LOL!

@flaburgan Sorry for my late response, I had some exams.

Last idea, only about design: the other questions should retract when you click a new one.

I disagree. I think the user should be able to open/close answers according to his/her own needs.

We should think about the order of the concepts.

This wasn’t intended to be a tutorial so I don’t think that the order is that important. Nevertheless I wouldn’t mind concrete suggestions.

Nevertheless I wouldn’t mind concrete suggestions.

So, put the pod related questions first in the list :wink:

I’m not sure that this is such an issue, Fla. After all, in order to see these help pages someone is going to have to have already found and signed up to a pod. Especially now that the Google ‘diaspora’ -> click joindiaspora.com -> no thinking -> sign up route has been closed off, it would be very unlikely that someone would get to these help pages without knowing even what a pod is.

At the moment, the sections are, I notice, in alphabetical order - in English at least). This makes sense from the point of view of finding a section easily, but doesn’t allow for hierarchical ordering.

Steffen, given that help sections in translation won’t appear in alphabetical order unless they automatically reorder themselves in alphabetical order, what would you say is the best solution? Perhaps it should be reverted to a logical order of things you need to find out about first at the top.

If someone is such a newbie that they don’t even know what a pod is, I really think we would be better off directing them to the step-by-step ‘Getting started’ tutorial series at https://diasporafoundation.org/getting_started/sign_up - there could be an item ‘Getting started’ at the top of the list of sections in the help pages.

@goob anyway, it’s still more logic to put the global concepts first and then go to the more precise topics, so, pod definition first :smiley:

+1 for the button but IMHO Help button should link to the (localized?) wiki. I don’t think that every pod should have their own help.