Add "Local" for posts

Yup. :wink:

The drawbacks to the existing system that I’m trying to solve here are:

• shared posting space; currently diaspora* only offers tags and public as shared spaces

• visible history; again, tags and public are the only spaces that do this

• guaranteed privacy, by never leaving the local server; only aspects do this currently, and then only if you’re careful to never add a remote user to the aspect you’re using

There’s no way, even with manual workarounds, to get those three things at the same time with diaspora*.

Now, I totally understand that this is because of opinions that are consciously and conscientiously held and choices that are made with the best intentions. I am not criticizing anyone’s work or questioning anyone’s motives.

I just have a need for those three attributes to be all together, and I think diaspora* is the best available platform so I’d like them in diaspora*. :wink:

And honestly I’m fine with running a patched server if I have to for that. I maintained an annually-updated patch for NetHack for almost 20 years; it won’t be a problem for me to keep it updated to match with the official releases.

I agree with @denschub here and I’m also against merging a hack like this when we never can clean it up again in the future. It doesn’t help to add a workaround for something just because it looks faster now, when it then makes the real feature even harder because it would need to pay attention to the hack then.

As already said, local-only posts don’t really fit how diaspora works. Diaspora is a distributed network and the group-feature would be the way diaspora should support communities. That way you can be part of multiple different communities without the need of registering multiple accounts on multiple pods.