Ask for a RubyMine free license

Oh sorry, you said diaspora-owned repo (which includes the project-site one anyway), misread your post, sorry ignore me.

Come on, peopleā€¦ Get free licences of a proprietary software in the name of Diaspora, really ?

Remember you do that on behalf of the Diaspora community. Even if thereā€™s a vote here, what does it mean with only 5 voters ?

Is it really the image of the D* project you want to give to the public and potential future developers ?

Everybody is free to use the software they chose, but ā€œrewardingā€ people with non-free software wonā€™t help build a sense of community about D*, and will only scare some dev away, because they will doubt the values of the community.

I wonā€™t mention the opinions expressed in this thread about ā€œStallmaniansā€ (they are out of subject, to say the least), but youā€™re a community and youā€™re making FOSS: you have every rights to expect others to respect your right to use non-free software, but you should at least respect people that think D* shouldnā€™t promote proprietary software in any way.

Or may be you have enough developers and donā€™t need those that donā€™t want to be involved (even indirectly) in non-free software promotion ?

May be I could summarise my point of view that way: everybody is free to use the IDE they like. By promoting one (especially a non-free one), you can only hurt the community, not help build it.

May be I could summarise my point of view that way: everybody is free to use the IDE they like. By promoting one (especially a non-free one), you can only hurt the community, not help build it.

RubyMine is the only IDE of JetBrains that is not usable without license : you can use PyCharm and IntelliJ completely free without asking anyone, even though itā€™s proprietary.

Iā€™m getting really tired of this ā€œBe absolutely FOSS until deathā€ bullshits. FOSS is not a religion. Compagnies producing proprietary software are not all like Microsoft or Google. Until now, JetBrain have been really respectfull with the community. I think you are just being paranoiacā€¦

Remember you do that on behalf of the Diaspora community. Even if thereā€™s a vote here, what does it mean with only 5 voters ?

This subgroup actually has 95 members. Unfortunately this topic just isnā€™t really interesting enough for more than that 5 who voted. We canā€™t require people to vote on proposals.

Understand your point and concern, but in the end diaspora* is a project building FOSS social networking software. Weā€™re not a project to generally advocate FOSS outside that - there are advocacy organizations for that. IMHO our project should concentrate on our core task - ie building software and support the diaspora* social network run by that software. Anything else should be (IMHO) considered as non-core functionality.

Weā€™re not promoting non-FOSS over FOSS, weā€™re just saying that a company is giving out free licenses for an IDE. IMHO as a project we should be ensuring our community and devs have the best tools to do our core task, whether that is FOSS or not.

If you disagree strongly enough, feel free to spread awareness to the community that a vote regarding posting this status message is ongoing and maybe some more people will get interested :slight_smile: Anyone can register on Loomio, join this group and vote.

Also, if someone knows a good FOSS editor for Ruby IDE for rails, please speak up :slight_smile: RubyMine seems like a very popular choice - itā€™s a pity itā€™s not FOSS but that is something we cannot control (IMHO).

I disagree about the statement that the project should be ensuring that devs have the best tools for they task. IMO, itā€™s not its job. And all I said was that D* should remain neutral about FOSS/non-FOSS tools to welcome pro-FOSS and pro-proprietary alike.

I though I was only advocating this neutrality, but now Iā€™m learning that Iā€™m into ā€œFOSS until deathā€ (or am I just being paranoiac).

I disagree about the statement that the project should be ensuring that devs have the best tools for they task. IMO, itā€™s not its job.

Remember that devs are entierly benevolent. Donā€™t expect them to come and contribute if the project do not try to simplify developmentā€¦

I though I was only advocating this neutrality

Nope, youā€™re notā€¦ We arenā€™t forcing anyone to use anything or promoting any non-FOSS tool. We are just offering people who want it (and sincerely contribute) a great tool to develop.

And all I said was that D* should remain neutral about FOSS/non-FOSS tools to welcome pro-FOSS and pro-proprietary alike.

Neutral would mean not talking about any tools. What if someone would ask what tools are required? No comment? :wink:

Weā€™re already not neutral, we are specifically promoting Rails and a hundred or so Ruby gems and various other components. We promote several OSā€™s and platforms by mentioning them in our wiki. We promote google mailing lists, IRC, Loomio and web servers.

Suggesting good editors for developers is just another way of helping devs work on diaspora*.

All IMHO :slight_smile:

The important thing is that the software which Diaspora devs create is FOSS - the software which they use to create that software is (or should be) irrelevant. Itā€™s not as if Diasporaā€™s code is going to be infected by capitalism because someone has used a proprietary tool to write some codeā€¦

Hmā€¦ sweet. Maybe I understand ruby better with a better editor. :wink:

I donā€™t think this has to come across as promotion at all. No one will be saying ā€˜Diaspora recommends RubyMine for codingā€™ or ā€˜We prefer that you use RubyMine to write code for Diasporaā€™. Itā€™s simply ā€˜If you want to get a copy of RubyMine, and you code regularly for Diaspora, you can get a copy freeā€™. No promotion there at all, if weā€™re careful about how we word announcements. As long as no announcement says ā€˜Weā€™re pleased to make a special offer in partnership with our friends at Jet Brainsā€¦ā€™ and all that marketing bollocks.

Done.

Thank you, @jasonrobinson !

Hey yo,

The license we received is expiring 2nd September. I wrote to JetBrains to ask for a renew already, and they replied:

According to the rules of the Program, an OS license can be renewed not earlier than a week prior to the expiration date. Our apologies for the early reminders ā€“ we work on fixing the issue.

To renew RubyMine OS license to your project, please, contact us at this e-mail in the end of August. Your message will help us proceed with your request asap. Thank you for your understanding and time.

Weā€™ve switched to a per-user license model recently. When applying for a renewal, please, specify how many license keys are needed for the project.

So, end of August is the next time Iā€™ll ask again. By that time, we need to actually know who wants to use the license - and maybe add a few keys on top to share to interested devs.

So, who wants a license key for RubyMine? Must have contributed code to diasporaā€¦

Iā€™ll post on diaspora too.

So, who wants a license key for RubyMine?

I have one (from diaspora) and I think I will have to ask again for a new key once the current key is expiredā€¦

Me too.

Please note that D* is free-libre-open-source software. (#FLOSS) as it is Afero GPL and therefore it should not promote non-free proprietary software. Strongly disagreed.

Who said anything about promotion - they are sponsoring our development by giving free licenses, so people have the choice to use their editor (as well as they can use any opensource-editor anyways). So itā€™s just an offer and anybody contributing to diaspora has the option to use it or not use it. Thats it.

Please note that D* is free-libre-open-source software. (#FLOSS) as it is Afero GPL and therefore it should not promote non-free proprietary software. Strongly disagreed.

Hmmfā€¦ Pleaseā€¦ Do some researchesā€¦ RubyMine is based on IntelliJ which is a FOSS under Apache license. RubyMine is only IntelliJ with a setup of a few non-free plugins.

Iā€™m getting really tired of this ā€œplease donā€™t use non-GPL software, itā€™s eviiiiiiiiil !ā€ dogma.

Iā€™m not saying it is evil and GPL is all good. I just donā€™t like these community-editions much as they always are half-hearted. They are practically only free-beer software which is not FLOSS. This means in any time the company behind it may go bad (reduced income or even go bankrupted) and then they may start taking money for licenses from the community edition users.

I donā€™t want to say that they are evil, it is only my concern I have about free-beer software (ā€œfreewareā€).

Do you really think that companies (profit-oriented) can give a ā€œcompleteā€ software away for free? I look at these ā€œfree-to-playā€ games very seriously. Most of them have ā€œpremium itemsā€ which you have to pay for (with real money) or play the game for a very long time to get only one of it only to get a small advantage over an other player (PvP) or computer enemy.

There is an other (better) example, the game ā€œPath Of Exileā€ is free-to-play but you cannot buy premium items (which gives you advantage). The only thing you can buy is cosmetics.

So what does this have to do with an IDE? Well, it has, in a manner of speaking. :slight_smile: Both companies provide use free-to-use items (such as the community edition of an IDE and a game that doesnā€™t cost anything at the first view to you). Both companies are profit-oriented (again I donā€™t want to brand-mark it as evil, see PoE as a better example). So if the company behind the IDE would always offer a full version with only payed ā€œcosmeticsā€, means no software components that gives you (or a company) advantages over the community edition, I think the concerns about such software would slow start to fade away and maybe more people would be willing to spend some money for nice eye-candy.

Sure a fully FLOSS IDE is much better. :slight_smile: