Birthday Notification

Please add an Birthday notification wich tells me if an person i follow has birthday. (Only if they accept these)

Note: This discussion was imported from Loomio. Click here to view the original discussion.

Care to dates and details makes birthday congratulation nice. Notifications will kill the magic.

@bh I totally agree with you!
If you really “care” about somebody’s birthday, ask them and remember it yourself :wink:

Agreed with bh.

No. I think this is a very important “feature” of facebook. I, and I know others do as well, rely on it a lot. It will be another reason not to join diaspora, if this is not provided.

Asking others for important stuff in their lifes - noone wants to be that social in a social network :wink:

What about opt-in notifications: by default, you are not notified, but you can activate it?
On facebook, if someone does not wish you a happy birthday, you know they actively ignored the notification (assuming they logged in on that day). I think at least we want to avoid that situation.
Edit: apparently facebook has an option too.

i think what people expect as default is that they are notified, so maybe there should be an opt-out once you enter your birthday. if i enter my birthday, the only possible reason for that is to let others know, i guess…

edit: i guess you are right, it might be a better idea not to have notifications on by default. but then, this needs to be actively communicated to the user with a text saying something like “we want to avoid these awkward situations blala… if you still want others to be notified of your birthday/be notified of theirs please click over there”. :slight_smile:

if i enter my birthday, the only possible reason for that is to let others know, i guess…

Just those who wonder :slight_smile:

When you create an account, you get guided around; I guess the existence of the option could be pointed out in that tour.

Same as usual : ok, there are lot of “important features” but who is going to develop them ?

Plus, consider that very few people, compared to Facebook are likely to give their real birthday date. This will be ridiculous to see streams highlighted with fake birthday events…

well this is supposed to replace facebook, not stay a small niche “product”, right? :slight_smile:
apart from that, you are correct: it should be purely optional to give a birth date, i think.

well this is supposed to replace facebook

Nope, this is not. diaspora* clearly doesn’t have the means to replace any commercial product estimated at multiple billions dollars on stock exchange market…

Facebook wants to replace whole internet (whole life?). We too?

This will be ridiculous to see streams highlighted with fake birthday events…

It is certainly a bad idea to require people to enter a public birthday, but this was not being proposed.

It is certainly a bad idea to require people to enter a public birthday, but this was not being proposed.

What is being proposed is to display notifications for birthday. What is the person has entered a fake birthday (like me) ?

well to make that notification appear you would actually need to enter a fake birthday AND opt-in to show others notifications…

Why would you do that? I would say in that case you are spamming the birthday notification system.
Compare: if one of your contacts posts random text, then you get random text in your stream. This is not an argument against the stream.

My suggestion was intended as an opt-in for the receiver.

well this is supposed to replace facebook

Definitely not. Diaspora is intended to be something new and different, not a replacement for Facebook. When thinking of introducing features, we should be considering ‘what is the very best that can be introduced for a social network?’, not just slapping things onto the UI because people have been led by Facebook and other privacy-sucking ‘services’ to expect them.

well to make that notification appear you would actually need to enter a fake birthday AND opt-in to show others notifications…

Would you develop it ?

i’m not a developer sadly