Bountysource

Also, bountysource integration - shall we activate it? A few messages up, my opinion:

I’d personally vote for the body text and the label. The issue title is a bit … too much maybe :stuck_out_tongue:

+1 Jason

Here are the screenshot about how an admin can post a bounty btw, notice the “diaspora” choice allowing to access funds from the d* team.

Proposal: Activate bountysource github plugin to automatically edit the content of an issue and label it when a bounty is posted

Outcome: We’re going to activate the github plugin of bountysource to automatically edit the content of the issue and add a label when a bounty is posted.

Votes:

• Yes: 9
  • Abstain: 4
  • No: 0
  • Block: 0

Note: This proposal was imported from Loomio. Vote details, some comments and metadata were not imported. Click here to view the proposal with all details on Loomio.

@jonnehass a label alone would not provide a link to bountysource so it’s not enough imo.

@florianstaudacher well I started the vote especially because I want to see how react the plugin during the test :wink:

@flaburgan ok I see. I have no problem with that. It was just a suggestion :slight_smile:

@jasonrobinson could you please activate the plugin? I can’t do it since I’m not a member of the github organization.

It seems it has to be an owner who does it, it allowed me to try but then said “Cannot write to this repository”. Worked fine for my diaspora-hub personal repo.

Which of the owners would like join Bountysource as a diaspora member?

You can add me.

Done!

Let’s move on this. Need to find an issue to test the process with. A dummy issue? Or maybe before merging in the next pull, plz put a small bounty on it :slight_smile: Once we’ve tested this works, let’s write a post via the social channels. And later we can do more promotion via blog etc.

But, can we agree on how to distribute the money donated directly to the team? Any objections to having the bountysource team admins distribute it at their will? We can maybe do that in the monthly meetings or just in IRC as funds become available. Currently there is $55 available.

We talked about this with @flaburgan at some point in IRC and agreed that the best way would be for the team to decide the issues where to put these funds. The reasoning is that if someone donates to the team instead of to an issue directly, they probably trust the team to channel the donations to the most relevant critical issues.

Eventually, can the money be extracted into an account ? It would be nice if some money can be saved for future projects. Of course, it means having a legal structure able to open an account in the name of the organization.

Yes it’s possible. But then, we don’t have that legal structure. And IMHO, bountysource donations should be for bounties, since the donaters probably want the money to go to the people who write the code and not for “generic stuff” regarding the project.

Proposal: Allow BountySource project admins to distribute team money

As in the discussion, mentioned this would need a decision. Talked with Flaburgan that the simplest and leanest way would be if the project admins (currently me, Fla and Jonne) would distribute as bounties any money donated directly to the project on BountySource.

The rationale is also that if people want to back a specific issue, they will place a bounty on that specific issue. If they want to let the project decide which issues need bounties, they will give to the project in general, and the project will then distribute the money as bounties to issues they see important.

Any other usage of donated money (ie not placed as bounties) should require a separate decision.

Vote:

• YES if you agree our project admins on BountySource should discuss between themselves on which issues to place the donated money on BountySource. The money must be used for bounties, unless decided here otherwise.

• NO if you feel something else would be better :slight_smile:

Outcome: N/A

Votes:

• Yes: 16
  • Abstain: 3
  • No: 0
  • Block: 0

Note: This proposal was imported from Loomio. Vote details, some comments and metadata were not imported. Click here to view the proposal with all details on Loomio.

Btw, talked with some bountysource people on their #bountysource FreeNode channel and they’ve got some interesting new stuff coming up :slight_smile: They are also working with large companies like IBM and have some funding, so I’m quite confident it’s a good and safe solution for us to try.

I think we’ve already agreed to start using bountysource in some way in some part of this thread - and since no one has objected… :wink:

@faldrian you have been awarded and paid could you tell us what you think about the bountysource process?

@jasonrobinson I didn’t follow how the validation happened, when exactly was Faldrian paid? When you and Jonne validated? (So the majority of admins said OK). Does the opinion of non-admin people matter?

@flaburgan
I just requested payout… you have to submit your actual Name and Adress to that service (US service…yay, hello privacy for non-US-citizens… -.- ) to request cashout and it will be transfered to your paypal account. They take 10% fee, so the 70$ became 63$.

I will comment here again when the money has arrived. But the website and process seem good designed so far.

Nice. You should also be able to use your $70 by posting bounties, and that way, there is no fee.

Maybe. But I wanted to test the cashout first. :slight_smile: