Browser extention to add "Share to Diaspora" Feature thi

I was wondering if it is technically viable to create a browser extention that can add a “Share to Your Diaspora Account” on all posts in the news feed?

Background:
I’ve tried to contact big-name content creators (like news and magazine pages) to create a/c on diaspora as well, so people could not feel they’re missing out on the content they needed, once they switch to Diaspora. Most of them refused even to answer my query.

Objective:
We shall use our abandoned FB accounts to extract such posts from a single source that (will have to unsubscribe others) come into our News Feed, and share them over to an anonymous diaspora a/c cleverly labeled to show who the content actually pertains to.
e.g. For say, “XYZ News” we can create a diaspora a/c named “XYZ News Posts on My FB”.

Other Diasporians can add these Diaspora account into their aspects and shall never miss “XYZ News’s FB Posts”.

Method:
Use a cloud service (the one giving out 1yr trial) :wink: to run a VM. Install the said “Browser extension” Log into your FB a/c with only one page subscribed. Use auto-clicking software to share posts from your FB feed to the Diaspora a/c named “XYZ News Posts on my FB”.

Legality:
Facebook expressedly prohibits any auto.ated extraction of its posts, but this is only valid if we tinker with FB’s code etc. We’re free to do whatever we want to with the posts we recieve in our newsfeed. Using an auto-click software on our own browser doesnt violate FB’s T&C.

As for the content creators, whatever they post on FB can be freely shared. So, there’s no legal issue with that. Unless we try to claim that the a/c belongs to XYZ news, everything should be fine.

============

For people who just want to use it for all of their page subscriptions, can use the same method,. They just need not to unsubscribe from any page. And they can set up the share button to share to their own Diaspora A/c.

Cc: @denschub Maybe, you can put on your browser-developer hat, and see if this is a good idea.

(goob) #2

There’s a range of ‘share to diaspora*’ extensions on the Tools to use with diaspora* page on the project wiki.

You seem to be talking specifically about grabbing content from Facebook. As Facebook is pretty protective of its content, I suspect that, in spite of what you say in your ‘Legality’ clause, this would be a no-no. Even if there is a technical way of working around this, I really don’t think it would be worth the effort.

Thanks for you reply @goob

There’s a range of ‘share to diaspora*’ extensions on the Tools to use with diaspora* 2 page on the project wiki.

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, none of them addresses the issue at hand, which is to add a ‘share to Diaspora’ button on every post in the newsfeed.

talking specifically about grabbing content from Facebook.

Well, in a way, yes. But, technically, no. I just want to share posts that appear in my newsfeed to my diaspora account. :wink:

As Facebook is pretty protective of its content, I suspect that, in spite of what you say in your ‘Legality’ clause, this would be a no-no.

Facebook sure is very protective, but I don’t think it has any right to dictate whatsoever I do on my browser, unless it’s affecting Facebook.

Anyways, for now, can we leave the legality for Legal Professionals, and as just an intellectual exercise discuss about the technical feasibility of the plan?

(goob) #4

What do you mean by your ‘newsfeed’? Do you not mean the posts you see in Facebook when signed in to your Facebook account? That sounds to me to be totally to do with grabbing content from Facebook.

It seems to me pretty pointless to spend valuable time discussing the technicality of doing something that is very likely to be blocked by legal issues. By all means spend as much of your time as you like doing this, but please don’t expect core Diaspora developers to join in, because they’re all busy working on things that will improve Diaspora. Of course one of them might decide to comment here, but I wouldn’t expect more engagement than that.

Facebook’s policy for developers seems to suggest that you may not use their API to republish content posted by a third party (i.e. other Facebook users) without the consent of each of those third parties. So that seems a pretty big hurdle.

Good luck with your investigations, anyway. I’ll step out now, and wait to see if you and others find some workable solution (technically and legally) to this issue.

(Dennis Schubert) #5

I’d like to add a few notes to @goob’s comment.

What you think or not is really irrelevant, as Facebook’s Terms of Service are pretty clear on that one:

You may not access or collect data from our Products using automated means (without our prior permission)

And with that, this discussion ends, as “using auto-click software” is, in fact, an automated way of extracting data.

That’s also a false assumption. Content creators can do whatever they want to with their posts, yes, but you certainly cannot. Just because someone posts something on the internet does not mean you are free to copy that onto other services. If you’d automatically share posts from Facebook to diaspora* without their permission, you would, in fact, violate their intellectual property rights. The only thing you (maybe) can legally do is sharing a link to a post to diaspora, but that would kinda be useless.

If you want to do that in your own time, fine, but don’t expect any support from this project, and don’t expect a link to stay up in the wiki or somewhere else.

Well, that in itself is good enough for me. Of course, I do understand that the Diaspora Devs have much more important things to do than coding a simple browser extention.

Chill Dude! I’m just asking those in the know if this sounds like a good enough idea. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your reply.

@denschub

Thanks for your reply.

but don’t expect any support from this project, and don’t expect a link to stay up in the wiki or somewhere else.

No Dennis, I’m not expecting any support from this project. I brought it up here, just to have a discussion with people who know the ins oand outs of Diaspora and see if this idea is feasible. I know, you people have much more important things to do, that writing a browser extension.

Thanks for reminding me about Facebook T&C that prohibits automation for users as well; I was under the wrong impression that facebook prohibits automation at its API level only. I had thought, till you’re doing things on the front-end, it’s fine.

That’s also a false assumption. Content creators can do whatever they want to with their posts, yes, but you certainly cannot. Just because someone posts something on the internet does not mean you are free to copy that onto other services.

Yes, that’s something that confused me too for a few days when this idea first came to my mind. What gave me the “false assumption” is that none of the content-creators have ever objected to their content being shared from, say facebook to other platforms… twitter, whatsapp etc. for example. In fact, even the official apps of some of these platforms allow sharing to different platforms।