Bugmash Mondays - bug suggestions

@goob thank you for your engagement. I don’t think that the bugmash has to be in a specific date, it’s better, but it’s not a problem to not have a bugmash post right now.

Volunteers look busy in this moment (at least, looking at the number of commits) so we can wait for a moment where we will be maybe more available.

Thank you for your work anyway, and I hope you’ll be recovered soon.

There seems to be very little activity on Github at the moment, and the bugs which appear on the front page (which now covers the past month of activity) are mostly either awaiting more information to identify the problem or contain an ongoing discussion about how to deal with them.

It looks to me therefore that there’s no need for a Bugmash post for the moment. Let me know if you think there should be one, and what bugs it should include.

@goob there is some annoying bug without an issue open I think, I have no plan for today so I will search and open the issues if they do not exist. I’ll let you know here in a few hours.

OK, look fwd to it.

@goob here is the two new issues I just opened.

https://github.com/diaspora/diaspora/issues/4571

https://github.com/diaspora/diaspora/issues/4572

You can also link the “Adopt a pull request” issue by Jonne

this one is also really annoying: https://github.com/diaspora/diaspora/issues/4503

I thought I’d do an end-of-year bugmash as people might have spare time over the next week and be wondering what to do with it…

Here’s the list I’ve prepared - five newcomer bugs plus a couple of older ones, that don’t seem to have been claimed (or if so, months ago and don’t seem that they are being worked on at the moment).

Let me know of any others that you’d like added. I’ll make a note that the core team will be on their holidays as well, so for people to be patient for a reply if they ask questions or make PRs….

I’d like to post this later today, so if @flaburgan @jonnehass @florianstaudacher could let me know asap if any errors or glaring omissions in the list, that would be fantastic.

I’m afraid I’ll have the time to look at it today sorry. I’ll keep you in touch.

OK don’t worry. I don’t think any of the bugs in the list are contentious, so if no one has time, I’ll post it in a few hours’ time anyway.

I reshared it, thank you! Arlo gn submitted a pull request to fix the webkit issue in the search bar, so it was useful to post the message :slight_smile:

We already discussed a lot on this page so I’ll keep it as the “communication with diaspora HQ” page :stuck_out_tongue:

So, with @goob we are working on the “I’m not technical what are the other ways to contribute?” We already have a wiki page we tried to improve, if you have any suggestion about it, feel free to share.

The idea I’m coming with is to post once per week a message like this:

I <3 diaspora*! I’d like to help but I know nothing about programmation…
Dont’ worry! You can also…
[add one item of the list of the wiki page here, with the appropriate explanation]
Hm, no, I don’t want to do that…
There is [other ways to contribute} (link to the wiki page)

And each wiki, the way proposed to contribute will be different.

each week*, sorry

@goob I saw you posted a new bugmash with diaspora HQ, that’s nice. I’ll try to help you select relevant issues.

OK thanks.

@goob monday is here!

So, an issue which is not a bug but a feature: improve the admin panel, especially now that we have spam… This could be a task for someone who wants to really involve himself in the development, it’s not a quickfix.

In the current bugs, the some of the most annoying are, imho:

• Mention plugin broken in develop bug and loomio discussion
  • Deleting an user account failes with a name error bug
  • Clicking ‘show n more comments’ empties the comment textarea bug
  • Photo lightbox not suitable for a lot of photos bug
  • Correctly strip HTML and Markdown bug, this is a meta bug which summarize all the stripping issues we have.
  • Add live response to new profile bar bug

You can precise at the end of the message "Don’t forget you can easily find every suitable for newcomer or confirmed issues on github :slight_smile:

Hi Fla, I thought we’d agreed to do a bugmash every month or so, because there weren’t enough people around to take part and more frequent posts were just becoming ‘noise’. As I did a post only a week ago, I’d rather wait for a few weeks. If you feel that these bugs merit a post now, feel free to post them yourself - you can edit my previous post if you’re concerned about the English.

Bugmash posts don’t even have to be posted on Mondays - that’s just tradition, but I’ve removed ‘Monday’ from the post…

If anyone wants to put together a post with bugmash suggestions and a development review post, please do, and I’ll post it. I’m not going to be able to put together the posts at the moment, however.