CaPiTaLiSaTiOn of the entire UI in the English language

Yes, I have read your position, @gp . However I do not agree that it should be applied to all elements of the site (for example, the titles in the right sidebar I would prefer if they were only capitalized on the first word).

If you wish to implement this standard you propose, then I suggest the decision should be rephrased into something like “Should we capitalize all words in short text strings and titles?”. The current decision only relates to the “Log Out”-button (in which case I agree it should be capitalized), but doesn’t resolve any of the other issues that are being lifted in this post.

@fraktalizelove I do not want all elements to be capitalized, and I do not want all words to be capitalized.

Title-like text and actions such as “Log Out”, “Invite Your Friends”, “Toggle Mobile”, “Mark All as Read”, “Show X More Comments”, “Change Password”, would follow the rules at http://www.titlecapitalization.com/

Note that according to these rules, not all words are capitalized. See “Mark All as Read” for example.

Non-actionable, non-title-like sentences such as “Start a conversation…” and “Share this link via email, blog, or social networks” would only be capitalized on the first word of the sentences.

If you agree with the current proposal, but do not accept the proposal itself, you should “Block” it instead of “Disagreeing” with it.

@gp Thank you for the clarification, and for the heads up regarding disagreeing/blocking!

@fraktalizelove Note that after this proposal will close, subsequent proposals will address the other parts of the UI.

For example,

“Should toggle mobile in the mobile sidebar be rewritten Toggle Mobile

“Should all buttons follow the capitalization rules on http://www.titlecapitalization.com/

“Should the titles in the sidebar follow the capitalization rules on http://www.titlecapitalization.com/

Ah, thank you for the clarification @gp ! I had gotten the impression that every resolution was final. I will change my position!

@fraktalizelove No problem, and I have no issues with you blocking my proposal. I understand that making step-by-step proposals might in fact break the goal of consistency instead of favoring it.

@fraktalizelove One Loomio discussion can have multiple proposals. In fact, for better democracy, I think smaller-scale decisions should be made instead of “bundles”.

That’s one of the biggest issues of traditional democracy: political parties are huge uncontrollable “bundles” of choices. If you vote for one party, you vote for 100% of their decisions. Yet you might agree with 99% of their speech, and the 1% left could be, say, a neonazi position. Then, the party gets the power and the 1% of their speech becomes the 99% of their decisions.

Sorry, it was just an off-topic reflection.

@gp , I was actually reflecting upon exactly that when I found the proposal incomplete - my opinion was that it would be preferrable if several proposals were made and voted upon, to get all the details just like the community wants it. That’s the exact reason why I find traditional “democracy” incomplete. Glad to see I underestimated Loomio!

@fraktalizelove Never underestimate Loomio :slight_smile:

@cantonic Ah great! Thank you so much for sharing Apple’s and Microsoft’s capitalization guidelines! I knew some professional software companies would have written such documentation, but I didn’t know where to look for.

However, I hope some people here will not see these capitalization rules as the work of “evil corporation greed” :slight_smile:

I think that captions on the right side (“Welcome New Users”, “Invite your friends”) should have only first letter capital. They are more “actions” than “titles”. To prove that, I attach another WordPress screenshot - there are texts like “View your site” or “Write your first blog post”.

I do not vote no, because I do not find a relevant thing and I hate to resist if I have a compelling reason, but in Spanish language this would a grammatical error.

If it is true that worpsress do, and occasionally is automated, if we write Wordpress, is expressed WordPress , but in the Hispanic world that many people dislike and a small hack to avoid it.

Could we let each pod decide this?

Er, the discussion is about standardising capitalisation of words throughout the UI. Making individual proposals for each string is not going to help standardise the UI. We need to make one decision about how to capitalise words in the UI, and implement that decision consistently throughout the app.

This proposal is therefore a waste of time, because it will be superseded when a decision about capitalisation throughout the UI has been taken.

And of course capitalisation standards will be different for each language. The discussion is about capitalisation in English. @rich1 please could you adjust your discussion title to reflect this?

@macieklozinski There is a clear distinction between the sidebar titles and your WordPress example. “Welcome New Users” and “Invite your friends” subordinate text while your WordPress example does not. “Welcome New Users” and “Invite your friends” are bold and have a graphical icon accompanying them while your WordPress example does not. Therefore, it is clear that they are not the same type of text element.

@juansantiago As @goob said, this is about the English version of diaspora*. Other languages have different capitalization standards.

Of course, each pod can do their own thing, but there should be a default, and that default should be the standard.

@goob I know, but there are people like @macieklozinski who want certain types of text to be capitalized under a certain standard and other certain types of text to be capitalized under another standard. It also makes sense, since as someone said earlier, not all text should follow the rules on http://www.titlecapitalization.com/. There seems to be a debate about what is a title-style text and what is a sentence-style text.

So I suggest that we do that in groups:

• The top bar (with “Log Out”)
  • The side bar (with “Welcome New Users” and “Invite your friends”)
  • The bottom bar (with “Code X” and “Toggle Mobile”)
  • The buttons (with “All Aspects” and “Change Email”)
  • The titles in the settings
  • The notification side bar
  • The time calculator (with “about a Month Ago”)
  • et cetera.

@gp Thank you, my level of English is not very good, sometimes not understand details

@juansantiago No problem, I can understand that.

Title adjusted.

@rich1 The term “entire” seems wrong and misleading. It’s not about capitalizing the whole UI, but about capitalizing the UI in a way that feels more consistent.

I suggest that the title should be “Capitalization of the English diaspora* UI”

The title looks fine to me - we’re discussing how to capitalise text throughout the entire UI. That doesn’t imply that all text throughout the UI will be capitalised in the same way.