Change the image size in the mobile view

I proposed a PR to increase the size of all images displayed in the stream on mobile view. This would improve the quality of the displayed images but increase th quantity of data transfered each time the stream loads.

Note: This discussion was imported from Loomio. Click here to view the original discussion.

Proposal: Change the image size

Currently, the images are displyed at a size of 300px. The proposition is about to increase it to 700px maximum.

Outcome: N/A

Votes:

• Yes: 2
  • Abstain: 0
  • No: 1
  • Block: 5

Note: This proposal was imported from Loomio. Vote details, some comments and metadata were not imported. Click here to view the proposal with all details on Loomio.

As I showed here, the difference between the resized image and the original one is to big. The resized image has too much poor quality and forces the user to load the original file every time. This is, actually, a loss of bandwidth.

With images displayed in a better quality directly in the stream, the user would not have to load the original images every time.

As an exemple, here is how an image appears in my stream:

and here is the full size image:

This is particularly a problem when the image displays text because it is always too blurry to be redable.

The resized image has too much poor quality and forces the user to load the original file every time.

I disagree. In most cases the quality of the thumbnail is good enough to find out that I’m not interested in the image at all.

Your proposal says

Currently, the images are displyed at a size of 300px. The proposition is about to increase it to 700px maximum.

Currently we display images which are resized to 300x300. (max-height and max-width is 300) In your PR you use 700xInf but your proposal sounds like you mean 700x700.

YES. DO IT!!!

The quality of images on mobile view is just sooooooo rubbish!!!

Make them as high a quality as possible, it’s 2015 not 2005 for fucks sake!

Currently we display images which are resized to 300x300. (max-height and max-width is 300) In your PR you use 700xInf but your proposal sounds like you mean 700x700.

I can adapt the PR to go 700*700px. I didn’t though about the heigh but it’s a good point.

First of all, we should solve #6248 and see if it’s really not enough ( @rich1 maybe you were not aware of this bug).

If you still want to increase the size of the image, you at least need to:

• Check the size of the viewport
  • Check the bandwith of the user

I would block any proposition to render big files on the mobile version stream if we’re not able to do that. Sorry, but we’re not all living in Paris with unlimited data mate :stuck_out_tongue:

I would block any proposition to render big files on the mobile version stream if we’re not able to do that. Sorry, but we’re not all living in Paris with unlimited data mate :stuck_out_tongue:

This is exactly about this point. As I said, increasing image quality will prevent the user to be obliged to load the full quality image each time. It is very useful especally with random bandwidth like in public transports.

There are work in progress on a srcset attribute for images. This looks interesting.
Another way to deal with the problem would be to change the way we name images, calling them image.jpg, image@2x.jpg etc. I don’t know how that works.

This is exactly about this point. As I said, increasing image quality will prevent the user to be obliged to load the full quality image each time. It is very useful especally with random bandwidth like in public transports.

I completely disagree. This is true only if you want to check carefully every images of your stream. All other use cases will be less data consuming.

I completely disagree. This is true only if you want to check carefully every images of your stream. All other use cases will be less data consuming.

Saying that would make sens if stream was only composed with directly uploaded images. Far from the reality. The stream can also be composed of:

• embedded images on resolution of which you have strictly no control,
  • heavy gifs

I’m not against a user setting.

@augier that’s not a reason to make the situation worse.
I’ll open an issue about the gif images.

I guess a “always show full image” setting would make sense, off by default, so those of us lucky enough to live in countries that have unlimited data pretty much as default could have a nice experience instead of like it is now where the mobile is kinda clunky concerning images.

Would this sound good?

I guess a “always show full image” setting would make sense, off by default

That’s also my opinion.

Not @jasonrobinson do,t sound gud :frowning:

If each user could decide? I think a configuration where the user chooses, css style can fix this discussion

@juansantiago I don’t understand, sorry. You mean users can upload CSS to their settings? We’re talking here of image resizing, so that doesn’t really work.

This is particularly a problem when the image displays text because it is always too blurry to be redable.

With 700px the text is also to small … so not really better.

As I said, increasing image quality will prevent the user to be obliged to load the full quality image each time.

How is this better? The user is forced to load the bigger version in the stream. With the 300px image the user can decide if he wants to see the big version by clicking on it.

@supertux88 : Sorry to contradict you but mobile view is for mobile devices, period.
Mobile device can have small screen and limited bandwidth but it is not always the case. I can also use mobile device on tablet and I don’t see why desktop view would better fit than mobile view for it.

Many phones have equal resolutions to small laptops these days - the line is very blurry between mobile and desktop :wink: Forcing these to always only get 300px is not very good either. I’m not a fan of creating a setting for everything, but maybe this would be worth it.