Clarification of Diaspora's goals?

Hi there, I’m new to the community and I’ve been poking around the wiki and various discussions trying to understand more about Diaspora.
In particular, I’d really like to understand if the project is focused on being a complete, holistic and consistent application across all installations or if it could be considered a social networking platform, with the ability to add custom plugins / features that vary from pod to pod?

Note: This discussion was imported from Loomio. Click here to view the original discussion.

Diaspora is Free Software, released under an AGPLv3 licence, which means that anyone is free to take the software and adapt it however they like. It is an aim to provide an API for Diaspora (one is being developed at the moment), which will make it a lot easier for people to develop apps and plug-ins which work with diaspora’s core software. There is nothing to stop a podmin from customising their pod.

Someone else can explain it far better than I, I’m sure.

By the way, a note for the future: Loomio is a platform for discussing and voting on proposals for the project’s future, not for answering individual queries. If you have other questions like this they are better asked in Diaspora itself.