Community anniversary

I’ve been thinking about those final captions.

How about ‘diaspora* is a thriving community’ instead of ‘diaspora* is not dead’? ‘Thriving’ contains the sense of ‘alive and growing’ - so it would be a good word to use, as long as it’s going to be well enough understood be people who don’t speak English as their first language.

So, perhaps, for those two captions:

• diaspora* is a thriving community
  • it’s here for you - come and join us!

It would also be good to add the foundation address for people who are interested. I’d suggest adding diasporafoundation.org as a separate caption after ‘it’s here for you - come and join us!’.

How do those suggestions seem to you all?

So, perhaps, for those two captions:
diaspora* is a thriving community
it’s here for you - come and join us!

I like it. I’m sorry I’m not confortable with english as you might have guess :wink:

It would also be good to add the foundation address for people who are interested. I’d suggest adding diasporafoundation.org as a separate caption after ‘it’s here for you - come and join us!’.

Great ! I haven’t thought about that !

I’m sorry I’m not confortable with english

Please don’t apologise. We all have different skills to bring to Diaspora. Speaking English is one of mine. :wink:

I integrated you props :wink:

If everyone is OK with this version, I propose to contact Perturbator to ask the usage authorization.

I’d be glad if you let me contact him myself as I am a big fan of his work.

Hey, just wanted to say that I’m sorry but I hadn’t time to write the blogpost with all this sad isis story. We should probably write a smaller one introducing the 0.4.1.0 release (which will not be ready for tomorrow if we want to keep the secure weeks of code freeze…) and with the video of @augier

What do you guys think @jasonrobinson @goob @seantilleycommunit

@flaburgan I’d rather just announce the community anniversary with the video and then push 0.4.1.0 separately - we don’t know the exact date when that will be pushed out, but the anniversary announcement could be done at any time really…

@augier video looks great! did you already ask for permission for the music? Good work :slight_smile:

So a blogpost with the video? Where do we want to host it? Is it possible to put it on the server and embed it with HTML5 @dennisschubert ?

Why not YouTube?

I’m not sure we need to make a great noise about the anniversary unless we’ve got things to say. So I agree, a simple announcement with the video would be enough. The announcement could include a brief catch-up of what’s happened over the past year.

@jasonrobinson : nope, I haven’t asked the permission yet. I was waiting for a go :wink:

Edit : message just sent !
Edit2 : please, do not slurp the video from my YT account, quality is shitty, I’ll upload it on my ownCloud so you can dowload it freely :wink:

@flaburgan Yes? Although a hosted solution like Vimeo or YouTube would be better, imho. I worry about the bandwidth usage…

YouTube tracks :stuck_out_tongue: let’s use vimeo. Does anyone want to create a “diaspora*” account there with an “official” address like team@diasporafoundation?

Everybody tracks :slight_smile: But Vimeo is fine too. Let’s not try to host everything ourselves…

If no one gets there first, I’ll create the account later. Who wants access, the same people who have access to stuff like DHQ and press mail? Have to see if they have non-person accounts that person accounts can be linked to.

Though if someone knows a large, well hosted MediaGoblin instance, that would be cool - to support them

This one is the only register open + video uploads that I could quickly find: https://goblinrefuge.com/mediagoblin/

It would make sense to use some decentralized software to support our kind of projects.

Edit: created a personal account there - max uploads 1 megabyte :slight_smile: So maybe not…

Guys, I just received the answer from Perturbator on FB. It’s ok for him tu use his track as long as it is non-commercial. Don’t hesitate to send him a thanks message !

I’ll upload the video on my ownCloud tonight.
I thought we could make a bit of promotion for him by indicating his bandcamp site ?

Great news, Augier!

And if Perturbator was on D* then I would be able to thank him :slight_smile:

Assuming it’s the same person, we can give him a shout-out from Twitter and Facebook: https://twitter.com/The_Perturbator and https://www.facebook.com/Perturbator

That could be done at the same time we release and promote the video - @jasonrobinson you up for it?

ps: @augier thanks for all your work on this.

@goob @augier sure I can do a shout out via our official Facebook and Twitter accounts :slight_smile:

Awesome! Anyone had time to write a short post for the blog? It would be nice to embed the video into the blog. I was supposed to look into Vimeo - weekend was hell and huge amount of work so not done that yet, will try tonight.