Create an introductory video to diaspora* concepts and show it during registration process

I agree it’s important to keep this video/guide/whatever very focused on the few key concepts that are both critical and difficult for new users to understand. I would recommend AVOIDING the description of:

• generic details of a social network. Everyone already knows what sharing and comments and posts and hashtags are, etc. It’s a waste of the creator and viewers time to talk about all that stuff.

• general philosophical concepts of freedom, privacy, decentralization, open source. Either you’re preaching to the choir with this stuff or it just sounds like a bunch of political blah blah blah that doesn’t help anyone figure out how to actually get going with D*.

The concepts that are REALLY unique to D* and REALLY hard to understand are:

• There is no central site
  • Pods are run by all kinds of people who aren’t necessarily associated to each other
  • Pods are not organized by interest or geography
  • Pods are just points of entry, and you’ll get to the same content no matter which pod you choose
  • The domain name of your pod doesn’t much matter

Read the OP’s original message again. The goal of this proposal is to overcome the “barrier during registration when people have to figure out pods choosing and so on.” This is not supposed to be a dissertation on the benefits of a free and open society, or a snazzy ad campaign for how awesome D* is. It’s supposed to be a clear explanation of “how the heck do I get started with this thing?” for people who are already somewhat interested.

Keep It Simple, and maybe people will actually watch it! :slight_smile:

• generic details of a social network. Everyone already knows what sharing and comments and posts and hashtags are, etc. It’s a waste of the creator and viewers time to talk about all that stuff.

Not entirely, it also allows us to show that we are like everyone :wink:

• general philosophical concepts of freedom, privacy, decentralization, open source. Either you’re preaching to the choir with this stuff or it just sounds like a bunch of political blah blah blah that doesn’t help anyone figure out how to actually get going with D*.

That’s right.

This is not supposed to be a dissertation on the benefits of a free and open society, or a snazzy ad campaign for how awesome D* is.

Yes, and No !
We need the project to be a minimum seller. If it’s too “classic” too “underground” it’s not going to attract as many targeted people outside that promotes freedom Diaspora must be accessible to all. Unfortunately Apple and company, we simplified IT or rather, they have made User-Friendly death !!! Now we have to pick up the broken pieces, and it starts by simply bringing the user smoothly to the complexity.

Sorry for the comparison, but we do not do fistfucking without lubricant … :smiley:

Perhaps we are talking about two different videos. Of course there is value in “marketing” material to woo new people to come check it out. You can never have too much marketing. But that’s the not the video described by the OP. To my understanding, the video originally proposed in this thread – and what I personally think would be very valuable – is a brief and clear explanation for people who are already interested in signing up but can’t figure out what to do because the registration process specifically is much different than other platforms.

I just talked to a guy who had signed up for one pod, and then he wanted to check another pod out, and was very confused as to why his existing username and password didn’t work on the other pod. He was clicking “forgot my password” and everything… just didn’t get it. These are the unique challenges of D*, and IMO they really deserve their own video (or picture series, or something!) without getting wrapped in a bunch of marketing.

But now I’m starting to repeat myself so I’ll have to leave it at that.

@rob12

Yes, but it would not be possible to “centralize” registration?

Take for example all the social networks that exist, Facebook, Twitter etc …
They all have a single page for all entries.

Here for Diaspora, as they are POD, is it not possible to keep it as “brochure site” http://diasporafundation.org (or other specially created for this).
Since this “showcase site” there would be a simple way to explain the PODs and a registration form.

form:

[Select: POD] (dropdown)
[Input: Mail]
[Input: Username]

[button: valid]

When you click on the valid form is submitted on the registration page of the POD.

No?

Well, yes, I do think the registration process itself could use some fixing up, and I’ve seen a few suggestions floating around for that. But that leads to other sticky questions outside the scope of this feature proposal. This feature proposal (as I understand it) assumes the registration process as it is, and provides information to help guide people through it. Even in your example you mention “a simple way to explain the PODs”. That’s what I picture this video as being.

So now we’ve got three different features on our hands:

1. A snazzy marketing video to convince people to check out D*
  2. A concise explanatory video to help people understand the current registration concepts
  3. Overhaul the registration process to make it more intuitive

If we’re actually going to tackle #3 soon then there might not be much point in doing #2. But I’ve been thinking about #3 ever since I joined D*, and there are some conundrums that could take a while to sort through. Meanwhile people are coming to check it out, getting confused, and leaving.

Yes, absolutely! And I am also convinced that the explanatory videos are a very good idea, it should be remembered that the average internet is pretending! Read the text? Nope it’s too long! A one-minute video, # 1 it’s class! # 2 It’s fast! # 3 If the user does not understand, he re playing the video! # 4 It is modern!