Awesome.

So;

• participants at the stand
  • stickers
  • other material

Discuss.

I’ll get a HQ post out in a bit.

HQ post.

So, we’ve ordered stickers, two different kinds, black on white and white on transparent (for dark laptops) - both are round with the seed ball logo. @augier made the order and was paid out from Bountysource donations. There is enough that the remaining can be divided among participants to again give along to more people - or even mail to enthusiasts elsewhere.

Since some people felt not ok with spending money donated directly the project without asking the whole community for permission, I guess it is voting time because I would like to print out similar info sheets as last year. I spent approx 100€ last year on stickers + info sheets so would prefer this time to also get paid out from bountysource.

Basically, last year we had 200 info sheets printed out on good quality think paper that is suitable for both sided text and graphics. I think maybe a half went on the booth? So the suggestion was to print out 100 of the same with an updated text.

I’ve queried my local printer house that does these things fast and in good quality and it would be 29€ for 100 2-sided printouts. So, I’m suggesting the text is refined and I print these out. I will make the order on tuesday if vote passes. This would mean a bountysource payout of 29€ + bountysource 10% fee to myself.

Note, if the vote does not pass, I cannot bring info sheets so please when voting no, be prepared to either bring some info sheets to FOSDEM or mail them to someone going there - or we can of course be without info sheets, though to be honest the table will be pretty dull with only stickers lying around. People did really read these last time and then ask questions. Of course, better ideas welcome, there just isn’t time to discuss many ideas…

The info sheet is here in pdf and odt. Feel free to also suggest edits or rewrites or so on.

Proposal: Should we print info sheets worth 29€ and pay out the sum + bountysource fee from bountysource

Print out 100 info sheets on heavy duty good quality paper, two sided with info on diaspora*. Pay out to printer the total of 29€ + bountysource fee 10%.

See comment: https://www.loomio.org/d/HUkryp3Q/diaspora-at-fosdem-2016#comment-902198

Outcome: Was busy today, but will make last minute changes per comments here tomorrow morning and put the order in.

Votes:

• Yes: 8
  • Abstain: 0
  • No: 0
  • Block: 0

Note: This proposal was imported from Loomio. Vote details, some comments and metadata were not imported. Click here to view the proposal with all details on Loomio.

Will the flyer be available to download ? So that others can also print for other events.

It’s a good idea to print info sheet. I still have tons of them from last year though, so definitely not 200 again. 100 can be a good number, I will bring the ones from last year, just in case we don’t have enough. Maybe add the date somewhere next the number, to know when they were taken?

29 euros for 100 looks a bit expensive, isn’t it?

Will the flyer be available to download ? So that others can also print for other events.

Sure.

29 euros for 100 looks a bit expensive, isn’t it?

Well, the cheapest for good quality thicker paper doubled sided print I could find in Helsinki :slight_smile: As said, if someone else wants to print the sheets, that is more than fine with me. Also, if the text is trimmed down to one page or even fully redesigned, then maybe one sided is good enough. I don’t have much ideas on improving the info sheet unfortunately.

I think when it comes to flyers, sometimes good quality paper is just as important as the actual flyer and content./ subject matter. If you were to print 200 sheets of A4 - double-sided with a good percentage covering you would probably use lots of ink and or toner anyway.

Slightly updated, mainly user and commit counts, otherwise I think the text is pretty good. The first page is from diasporafoundation site and the second I think I wrote last year. Commit and contributors are up slightly last 12 months.

Comments if any quite soon :slight_smile:

odt, pdf.

I’ll upload these to the wiki too.

Typo. there seems to be a typo on page 2 of the flyer, in the metrics it has 8,1 & HAML, I assumed you mean HTML, also the figures are with commas, which could be a country specific thing.

Just to add the flyer is really good. Oh I just found out that HAML isn’t a typo as it is the HTML abstraction language, however as most people are used to seeing HTML it is useful to know if challenged on it.

@jasonrobinson I would add something about censorship, like “Nobody can shutdown diaspora*” in the first “Decentralization” paragraph.

Otherwise, good!

Scratch that. There is a high risk I can’t make FOSDEM :’-( … Unfortunately I wont know probably before friday morning when I should head off to the airport.

So, it really makes no sense for me to print out these, unfortunately.

@flaburgan @dada @augier would one of you be able to print these out somewhere? Costs are covered by this proposal up to 29€.

I’m sorry. I really hope I can make it, highlight of the year :frowning:

So @jasonrobinson are you in? You have to!

YES! Got some help from family and friends. On the way to airport.

But hope someone else printed the info sheets?

Hi everyone! So, like last year, we have a stand at the fosdem. Even better, my talk about “The state of diaspora* and the decentralized social world” in the decentralized internet devroom has also been accepted.

So we need to organize ourselves a little, I’m available to be at the stand during Saturday but I’ll mostly be at the decentralized devroom on Sunday. It would be nice to be at last 2 persons at the stand during the whole event, but I do not worry much about that because we’re going to be many from the d* community at the fosdem :slight_smile:

I will bring @zauberstuhl flag, but I don’t have any stickers / flyers left from last time. I should have time to print some on friday if we create the template. @jasonrobinson is the previous one still online somewhere?

Here is the e-mail I just received from the fosdem organizer, so everyone has the informations:

Dear FOSDEM stand organisers,

This email contains a lot of practical information about your stands
during the FOSDEM conference. Please read it completely.

Stands will be located in three buildings on the ULB campus: AW, H
and K. You can find the location of your stand on the FOSDEM site:
https://fosdem.org/2017/stands/
Note that the numbers in this list do not correspond with the numbers
in the image that circulated earlier.

Timing

Build-up starts from 9:00 on Saturday. Visitors will start arriving
around 10:00, and you can expect it to be properly busy by noon.
The Saturday program ends at 19:00; you’re expected to be out of
the building at that time.

It is possible to start on your stand on Friday afternoon. However,
there is no exact time when the tables will be ready - so if you
arrive early, you will have be asked to help us set up those tables.

For the night between Saturday and Sunday, there are overnight storage
rooms in the H and K buildings. You can also leave stuff at your stand
overnight; the buildings will be closed overnight, but we cannot guard
the hallways on Sunday morning. We also cannot provide any insurance or
take responsibility in case of damage or theft. We do have security
staff on campus at all times.

Sunday starts around 9:00-10:00 and the teardown starts at 17:00. All
stand holders are expected to help clean up the area around their stand,
and the tables and table cloths should be returned to the collection
point by the stand holders. Your stand area should be cleared and
cleaned up and the tables returned to the collection point by 17:30.

Various

The tables provided are 180x80cm wide. We also provide table cloths,
but you are more than welcome to provide any on your own, especially
if you have something like a banner for your project. There will be
two chairs provided per table. You may not tape posters to the walls
or windows near the stands.

We will provide you with a power socket. If you require more than
one, please bring extension cables. Note that Belgium uses type E
sockets: http://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity/plugs-and-sockets/
If you need any adapters, make sure to bring them along.

High-speed Internet uplink will be provided by means of WiFi everywhere.
If you have a device that requires a wired ethernet connection, bring a
bridge device with you.

Keep in mind that our Code of Conduct applies to stand organisers
as well. Read it at https://fosdem.org/2017/practical/conduct/

If you have any further questions, please contact us at
stands@fosdem.org. During the event, you can ask volunteers for
information or contact us at the infodesk in buildings H and K;
or via +32 2 788 74 74 in case of urgent issues.

Thank you for your participation and see you in Brussels soon!

Kind regards,
FOSDEM Stands Team

The previous flyer is here: https://cloud.jasonrobinson.me/index.php/s/RlMjOqlcArYLQXc

Thanks! I also created something new, linked below. @goob or anyone else want to review it, if you have only a few minutes right now for a quick look it would be awesome, sorry for the rush but I have to print it in the coming hour before my train.

And here is a first draft of my slides for Sunday’s talk. If anyone wants to review, I’m definitely not a native speaker.

Hi, I’m really sorry but I’ve only just seen this. For some reason I didn’t receive a notification. But don’t worry - you are like totally gonna rock, dude!