Diaspora* at FOSDEM 2016

ull “”>

Not quite correct Dennis. We DO have money available, we just don’t have full control on where we can use it :wink:

But since we haven’t asked yet, we don’t know how easy or hard releasing the funds is.

ull “”>

Not quite correct Dennis. We DO have money available, we just don’t have full control on where we can use it :wink:

But since we haven’t asked yet, we don’t know how easy or hard releasing the funds is.

I’ve asked my man in Brussels, apologies for the delay. I’ll let you know if he has any recommendations.

I’m asking around for some offers on stickers and brochures.

What would be a good amount? 1000 stickers and brochures? I have no idea how many people might pass through the table. But we should not just dump them on the table, but also spread them around to people actively :slight_smile:

@jasonrobinson I’m wondering if business cards wouldn’t be better than brochures? Easier to keep, with only the important information on it (url of the official website, one official e-mail and a nice logo on the front, the key points of the project on the back)

Oh, I only just saw this vote. Too late, but add a ‘yes’ vote from me - this is definitely the sort of thing we should be using FSSN-held funds for.

My Brussels contact has given the following suggestions:

Brussels can be difficult for hotels because of all of the EU and associated events - I would look at these two ‘aparthotels’ which offer a bit of convenience and can sometimes be cheaper.

Aparthotel Adagio Brussels Centre Monnaie

Citadines Sainte-Catherine Brussels

The first one is right in the centre on a busy and not particularly beautiful road, the second is about 200m from there but on a rather nice square known as the Fish Market.

A possible downside about these is that the ULB is quite distant, I think - I’m not too familiar with the ULB campus but I will have a look and then see if they have anything around there. Depends how much time they want to spend travelling in the morning.

Hope this is helpful. If you need any more advice, let me know and I’ll pass on the message. He’s also happy to help with recommendations on eating out, bars to go to, etc, if you need them.

Thanks for the advice @goob. Unhopfully, It’s a bit out of my student’s budget :frowning:

Yeh, I did tell him that some of your are students… sorry I couldn’t help you.

OK I’ve been looking for some examples to print stickers.

1. stickit.fi - quality place. Price on quote, but example: 500 stickers 15x10mm, 149€. Colour, cut to shape. I can pick these up to avoid delivery costs.

2. Onlineprinters.com - many configurations, cheap. Example: 500 stickers, 21x10mm, colour, rounded corners (not cut to shape), 100€ + delivery.

3. Diginate.com - seems pricey but prob good quality. Example: 500 stickers (individuals!), 15x10mm, colour, cut to shape, $500 + delivery.

I’d say stickit.fi because it’s local from me and I can quickly handle problems with the order and pick them up. IF it happens that the FSSN will NOT accept the order, I’m willing to pay for them :stuck_out_tongue:

About design, opinions? I’d say the logo in helvetica (https://wiki.diasporafoundation.org/File:Diaspora-logo.png) with maybe underneath - “open source social network - https://diasporafoundation.org.

Since we are targeting developers here as it’s a conference where the majority(?) of participants will be all kinds of open source devs and hackers.

Size of the sticker? 20x10mm max? I’d like cut to shape, it’s a nice touch and makes for a much nicer laptop sticker :slight_smile:

Also, I totally think we should do some t-shirts for those present at the table and also the flyers/cards. Anyone want to design those? A5 maybe or even A6 size?

About staying - for me a hostel is fine, would be nice to stay at the same place though as someone else :slight_smile:

Also, is there any reason to stay for Monday? Work looks … busy for end of jan / start of feb, so unless we can throw up a good hackathon for Monday I’d probably return last flight sunday I can find. It seems most will not be staying for Monday?

Hey guys! I’d rather use the Roboto logo (https://wiki.diasporafoundation.org/File:Diaspora_logo_roboto.svg) and ditch the Helvetica one (and any other) for good. Roboto is slightly more modern than Helvetica, and also, Helvetica is so widely used, it’s almost a de facto standard, almost like having no font choice at all.

In any case, for the sake of identity, consistency and integrity, a decision should be made clear about which one is the “real” Diaspora logo.

@jasonrobinson : I get back to school on monday so I back home sunday for me. About hostel, I’ll try to find a youthness hostel (not sure about translation, auberge de jeunesse in french). I won’t be able to afford a hostel.

@goob : thanks for having took a look though :wink:

@hola yeah roboto is fine too :slight_smile: I think we decided earlier to “allow” both, but yes, one should really be decided upon as the primary.

The adoption of Roboto was implicit in the decision to use lower-case in branding, but yeh, we agreed to allow use of Helvetica where Roboto wasn’t available or not appropriate.

@jasonrobinson, would UnixStickers be any good for this? As we already have a relationship with them, they might (hopefully) provide us with stickers at cost price, or at least minus the 35% of sale cost they should be providing to Diaspora… Thanks for all your work on this, by the way.

@augier, it’s ‘youth hostel’ in English. :slight_smile:

Ok I find two people to join me on the trip, that’s cool I’ll go by car.
@goob : Thx :slight_smile:

About the Roboto font, the only thing which bothers me is the place of the *, I find it way to low.

About shirts, I can see if I can get some. What are you shirt sizes guys?

@flaburgan

About the Roboto font, the only thing which bothers me is the place of the *, I find it way to low.

Me too, but I guess that discussion is separate and already discussed once when it was accepted :stuck_out_tongue:

About shirts, I can see if I can get some. What are you shirt sizes guys?

M for me please, unless it’s a skinny fit then L :stuck_out_tongue:

@goob I’ll ask UnixStickers today.

How many stickers? Anyone want to post a design that has the “logo” and project URL? If not I’ll post one sample tonight or tomorrow.

Anyone want to create the leaflet/business card/flyer design? I can handle the printing.