Diaspora* - the next 12 months

Priorities:

1. Pod Migration
  2. Installation Packages
  3. ???
  4. Profit

Just replaced our old ajax pull at work with a separate Node.js relay server. It’s so awesome. Instant push of notifications to connected clients and they have to make no effort at all. Node.js rocks :slight_smile: Will try to make a copy of this idea as a proposal in the wiki later…

From what I’ve noticed, top development priorities are:

1. fixing federation
  2. pod migration
  3. api

@macieklozinski Sounds about right to me. I suppose most people are happy on the pods they currently use so maybe migration can be second. Those three points are spot on if you ask me.

Justin Moore, are you kidding? two biggest pods have real trouble with tags. i would like to migrate but i don’t want to create 3rd account.

Well, I assume Justin Moore’s point 4: ‘Profit’ was a joke…

@goob, absolutely not, I think this is really important. Profit is probably not the good term, but I think having no business model is one reason of the diaspora inc fail. After the crowdfunding, they didn’t think about How to make money with diaspora (at least, I’m not aware if they did). Result? July 2011, no more money. And shortly after, no more development. So profitable is maybe not the word, but if we have real hopes in diaspora*, we surely have to think about earn money to pay developers.

As Diaspora has just been properly established as a not-for-profit project, I’d say it’s not a good term. A means of getting an income stream in order to pay for development and other resources, well that is something very different!

I think it’s just about words, the idea is clear for everyone :slight_smile:

I would like to think of how mozilla does it, or wikipedia does it.

Well, mozilla has one big contract with Google being the default search engine in Firefox. It’s 300 millions dollars per year. And wikipedia ask for donation every year in december.

I’m a free software purist. I think paying developers is not always a good option. Like Canonical & Ubuntu, I don’t like the path they are going. Community-driven voluntary projects are my favourite, although they also have their problems (eg. how to attract developers). Firefox is open source, but I doubt there are many people who actually follow what’s going on in it’s code. Where money appears, there used to appear corporate matters and politics.

I have a fairly solid idea for federating tagged public posts to all pods with at least one user listening to the tag; it requires some centralization a la pubsubhubbub but slightly more involved. Still, since it’s public information federating it somewhere shouldn’t be a problem. It’s also backward-compatible with 0.2.0.0 code.

Sadly while I’m a very experienced developer I know almost nothing about ruby, so I’d need to work with somebody to get the implementation going.

@bradkoehn could you check my suggestion on the issue and give your version here: https://www.loomio.org/discussions/7963

This is a feature that if not done correctly it will kill diaspora* - the network just doesn’t function at the moment.

As I see it, priority are :
1- Pod migration
2- Federation / tag federation
3- Groups

@jasonrobinson , @flaburgan, @starblessed I’d appreciate your opinions on: http://decentralizedmodel.wordpress.com - it’s a concept how we could create content in a decentralized way via WordPress and generate revenue from that. We only need the social features, where Diaspora would be really useful.
It should be definitely integrated to the content-platforms IMHO

@svetlinad Its a good concept. I like it. I’m wondering whether it could be implemented in such a way that pods could use it directly? There could be revenue sharing between both pod host and user. Like 10% to the pod, and 90% to the user. It would help maintain the pods…
Does this model require Wordpress at all? It seems it could be applied to other environments as well.

Hi @starblessed , thanks a lot.
We could use any content platform, and WordPress has the advantage to be the platform where you could scale anything, so it’s more universal.
Despite the cost on WordPress is the minimal one to scale, it’s not so minimal. It includes usually

• money for hosting
  • research time for good hosting
  • framework (Thesis/Genesis)
  • plugins
  • maintenance time for the content infrastructure(plugins, updates etc)
  • design improvements
  • security framework
  • optimization costs

The free themes and free plugins are not an option, they demand more time/money that the paid ones.
So, the infrastructure costs are big.

Also, we need social plugins like Personal Directory, Wish Lists(derivative of the personal directory), and Causes plugin, where to link all our supported brands, with affiliate links, all needs and problems we have, and all causes we want to support. Also, we need advanced social profiles.
I think it’s needed all the development to be paid/revenue shared, so consistency and high quality would be achieved.

I think this proposal needs a separate discussion, because it looks to me like a real change of policy direction for Diaspora.

@goob I won’t mind using free plugins, but my practice shows they cost more expences due to:

• instabilities
  • lack of support
  • lack of upgrades or discontinuing

While the paid plugins/themes are consistent and cost less, since you pay once and don’t bother any more.

Also, I tried 1.5 years ago to switch to Linux. I tried Ubuntu 11.10 and it totally made me crazy. It always screwed the sound after every single update(I don’t know why…). I had to spend for troubleshooting unplanned time from my schedule, which costs…as much as one new machine with installed licensed Win8. I was almost ready to switch to WinXP and to abandon Ubuntu, when I 13.10 was released and I decided to give it a try(12.10 and 12.4 were with bad references). My question is - why Ubuntu didn’t take $100-200 of my money, and from 10 000 people like me(possibly from even more) and make the system working smoothly, without losing me $500 of my time?

We should propose some smart revenue-generation model which will fit to our ideology of opennes.