DiasporaHQ account - move to a project pod?

@juansantiago well, we should more certainly optimize diaspora*: diaspora HQ is sending only public post, so only one post is sent to a pod, so this should definitely not take that much power. But we’re going out of topic here, we know we need to improve diaspora core.

Any more thoughts on this?

Well. There wasn’t much support on moving the account anywhere, so :slight_smile:

Proposal: Move the DiasporaHQ account to a new pod

Due to incredibly high number of posts which fail to federate out from DiasporaHQ@joindiaspora.com - move the account to new pod on its own domain name (domain name can be confirmed later) and change the “autofollow_on_join_user: ‘diasporahq@joindiaspora.com’” value in diaspora.yml.example to match the new account location.

Outcome: Proposal closed until we know if updating jd.com to v0.5.x.x fixes the federation issues. If not, will re-open the proposal.

Votes:

• Yes: 4
  • Abstain: 0
  • No: 0
  • Block: 0

Note: This proposal was imported from Loomio. Vote details, some comments and metadata were not imported. Click here to view the proposal with all details on Loomio.

@rich1 maybe your vote come ~one week to early: looks like @maxwellsalzberg is upgrading joindiaspora.com right now. Let’s see if this improves the situation with the diaspora HQ account first before voting.

Maybe @maxwellsalzberg is too late - v0.5.0.0 shipped on 3 May and he still hasn’t even announced a date for the upgrade yet.

Fla my friend, you know far more about the codebase than me. Do you think v0501 will make any difference to the federation issues of the jd.com pod?

@rich1 yeah, there are some nice improvements about federation in the 0.5.0.0 version, even more in 0.5.1.0 to be released this sunday. + we hope max or maybe @jasonrobinson will clean the inactive accounts on jd, which would probably improve the situation too.

@flaburgan I’m not so confident things can be fixed that fast.

I know there are many problems relating to switching the official project account to another pod but in principle I think it should be done. It should have been done a long time ago when the project became not related to joindiaspora. The project account being there is just putting more pressure on jd.com which isn’t likely to become magically an ultra fast performance pod just because of updates and cleanup.

And to be honest, people saying “lets wait till we have some organization”. I don’t think that will ever happen.

I think the priority is to provide an information channel to users and people interested in the project. This information channel needs to be reliable. We can’t even edit the profile, aspects or maintain posts/comments on jd. It’s just too broken to be a reliable information channel.

@rich1 why did you close the proposal?

D’oh - sorry @jasonrobinson I closed the proposal while you were typing that post!

Likewise, I don’t think the update will fix the jd.com issues either :frowning:

RE:

the priority is to provide an information channel to users and people interested in the project. This information channel needs to be reliable

Agreed - and that’s the bottom line too.

It’s not just federation issues that make DiasporaHQ pretty useless guys…

Proposal: Move DiasporaHQ account to a new pod

Move the DiasporaHQ account to a new pod (using pod.diasporafoundation.org) in order to ensure the best possible chance of information being reliably federated and distributed throughout the diaspora* network.

Outcome: N/A

Votes:

• Yes: 4
  • Abstain: 0

Note: This proposal was imported from Loomio. Vote details, some comments and metadata were not imported. Click here to view the proposal with all details on Loomio.

@rich1 hate to complain but I think the previous proposal was better since it didn’t decide on a domain yet… I’m not sure about diasporafoundation, that domain stuff was what killed the conversation much earlier in this thread.

So if you still feel like editing or starting over, what about just voting first on the “do we set up a pod for official accounts”? :slight_smile:

Proposal: Set up new pod just for official accounts

Set up a new (closed) pod for official accounts and move the existing DiasporaHQ account to the new pod too (pod domain/name to be decided at a later date).

Outcome: Proposal passed. Only block was resolved.

Votes:

• Yes: 14
  • Abstain: 1

Wouldn’t it be better to wait until jd.com has been updated to 0.5.1.0 and had chance to expire those hundreds of thousands of unused accounts, to see if that helps performance and federation enough to make DHQ workable on jd.com?

There are very good reasons in my opinion for keep the diaspora* HQ account on joindiaspora.com – for instance, all those billions of web links to that pod from early stories about diaspora* – if the pod’s performance can be brought back up to scratch.

Let’s wait until Maxwell has had chance to upgrade to 0.5.x and expire all those hundreds of thousands of old accounts, and then see if the performance improves to a level at which the account is useful on that pod. If not, and there remain problems with jd.com’s performance, then certainly let’s move it.

When we decide that we want to move dhq to a new pod we could still reshare new posts from the old dhq account (for at least some time).

@goob

It’s very unlikely (IMHO) that jd.com will be magically “cured” at the upgrade to 0.5 - which tbh is still a wip thing to do and could be a month or two away, considering how busy Maxwell and I am (I’m trying to help him here).

After that, the clean-up of accounts will be a thing of probably a year, not some overnight action. And we don’t know whether it will help, though Maxwell says it could (which is why I made the maintenance feature).

So, we have one upgrade and one clean-up action - and we don’t know for sure whether either of those will actually solve anything. We could do other clean-up, but that will take years, since we don’t have action points for large pods like this to clean up (ideas welcome as github issues!).

Consider this also. DiasporaHQ is putting a lot of weight on jd.com. ALL the users of that pod have to suffer because the project wants to use the resources of jd.com. I see this not just as a question of making DiasporaHQ work, but also making jd.com work - and for that actually moving DHQ out might help a bit. I do the promotion of d* on our official FB, Twitter, G+ and Reddit pages + generally do a lot of spamming especially about releases into various open source groups/subredddits/pages etc. Do you know many times I’ve received replies like “LOL it still doesn’t work” from people who when they click the link to the DHQ post, they get a “we’re overloaded” message? Lots. While that page looks nice, it’s a real killer for any marketing.

Yesterday I decided I’m not going to link to DHQ with any promotion any more. I’ll link to the relevant post (if it ever arrives) on my pod which I know can handle the traffic. Now people might just be wondering wtf is iliketoast.net - but ah well, smaller problem - at least they see the post.

I’m more than ever thinking we definitely need to create a project pod for the DHQ account. That would show we eat our own dog food too, which is good for promotion. Of course we already do, but no one outside the project sees this. They won’t be able to identify Jonne as a core dev and what pod he runs the latest greatest code on, for example. But when they see an official pod it’s like “these guys use their own software”.

Remember btw, we voted that a block here is just a strong no. Since this is an important decision, we should prob extend the deadline though.

As Steffen said, it would make sense to reshare posts (federation to DHQ seems to work better than out) from the jd.com account for at least a year or something. Maybe by then we’ll have some kind of moved redirect :wink:

My only problem with this is the domain. I don’t like diasporafoundation.org at all any more. Even though this is going a tad bit off-topic, I’ll just rant a bit about that too.

diaspora* is not a social network any more. It stopped being a social network when other social networking servers started implementing the diaspora protocol. At that point we moved to a whole new thing which some people have lovingly called The Federation. Diaspora really is software.

We should not and probably will never have a diaspora* foundation, to me at least that doesn’t make sense any more. Diaspora is software. We have excellent software maintainers who maintain that software (<3 to these guys). It would be awesome to have a foundation for federated social networks that play together, ie “The Federation”. I know Mike would just announce quickly he’s not in but hey who needs his permission. I’d like to be a part of this organization if some other trustworthy, not afraid of legal stuff, highly addicted to social networking (not just federated ones), preferably non-coders would step up (PM plz).

Anyway, to cut a long rant short, I don’t think the pod domain, or the project domain, should have anything to do with non-existing foundations. diasporaproject.org would be nice, but since that a… I mean friendly human owning it isn’t responding to anyone and doesn’t want to give it up - then it cannot be.

Whatever the domain will be, it would be nice to also change the project home page to the same (without the pod.).

Personal rant off and to work -->

@goob

I sincerely believe that although jd.com works perfectly, would be fine one pod to the official accounts.

In the name of decentralization, many people believe that jd.com is an officer or main pod is and good show pods that can be created for specific uses.

ALL the users of that pod have to suffer because the project wants to use the resources of jd.com

I didn’t think about that, good point.

Now people might just be wondering wtf is iliketoast.net - but ah well, smaller problem - at least they see the post.

Why don’t you link to the post on the official blog?