Feature Discussion: Groups

OK I should have read first. Reading now. Thanks for putting up with my crap! :wink:

I like your points, they make sense. That was something had crossed my mind, actually. I wanted to put up my own pod for my own group, but lack of group feature made this pointless. I have about 300 people that need a better place than Facebook to group privately, and Diaspora would be awesome!

There’s a bounty for this on GitHub https://github.com/diaspora/diaspora/issues/6278

1 Like

Since one month the bounty on bountysource for implementing groups went a bit higher and is now over 150$. I think it´s time to get the conversation back again to this issue. I would love to have this function. it´s one of the reasons why I still need facebook.

1 Like

I think we’ve had the discussion. The thing that remains to happen is for someone to think: ‘You know what? I want this feature so much I’m going to create it.’

2 Likes

hi everyone, i am willing to work on this feature.

the first post of this discussion is saying we must first refactor the diaspora core.
but if we wait for it to be done this will never begin.

i just need to do some local testing, since i need to put my hands under the hood of the engine.
will keep you updated.

This has now been done, in the diaspora* federation protocol library. This work has improved federation performance immensely, and has also added support for various features to be built. I’m not 100% sure whether federation support for editing has yet been implemented, so let’s ask @supertux88, who has been in charge of work on the federation protocol.

By the way, even if you’re an experienced RoR developer, I wouldn’t recommend starting with the editing, as that’s going to touch many different areas of the code. If you can find some other PRs that would first familiarise you with the different areas that editing would involve, it would help you a lot. I’m sure the core devs (I’m not one) will be able to suggest some tasks to work on first to get you acquainted with what will be needed.

It’s great that you’d like to tackle this much-needed feature!

Edit: oops! Sorry, I thought this was the discussion about editing posts. So some of what I wrote is irrelevant, but some still relevant. I’m not sure how much less complex groups would be to implement than editing, but the core devs will be able to help there.

With the closing of Google+ coming up, this is going to be a highly requested feature.

thanks @goob! i will look after that :slight_smile:

@dpflug
indeed, in fact i came around here after someone i know from g+ moved from diaspora and asked me if this feature is available here. he asked that also for mastodon, for which the group feature is not implemented yet.

@tykayn

Hey,

Did you start work on this?

I would like to join in case that is the case.

Kind regards
Manuel

hey, i wanted to work on this but cant manage to have a few minutes to understand the stack.
i got some answers from the core devs of mastodon that there is no import design done.
you can import what you exported from your mastodon account because it is in a format of activitypub. but i didnt find where it manages that. plus it is written in ruby and i didnt do anything in ruby, just php/symfony for backend stuff.

same about diaspora, didnt check how i can handle import and talk to databases.
if you have clues i take it :smiley:

Hello all diaspora* enthusiasts :slight_smile: I’m also interested in a group feature. I would be happy to contribute documentation and testing.

1 Like

Hello @tykayn :slight_smile: Have you tried search those?

I’m not a developer. I’m happy to contribute testing and documentation though.

@tykayn :slight_smile: If you are more familiar with PHP. You might also be interested in Friendica at https://friendi.ca/resources/contribute/

Friendica is able to both read and publish to diaspora* and others. Like diaspora*, Friendica is open source and owned by a friendly community, not a for-profit corporation. diaspora* and Friendica complete and collaborate with each other. Friendica is not a meant as a replacement for diaspora*.

Read more at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friendica

Hi, still nobody working on that ?
The bounty is 372 USD : https://www.bountysource.com/issues/25215034-implement-groups

1 Like

I haven’t seen any traffic on this topic, so I’m guessing no :frowning: .

i guess that is quite a small amount for such a big feature requiring several days of work. might explain why so few activity

I haven’t looked into it but I would guess it is at least a few man months of work, so that’d be an effectively hourly rate of something like $2.33 an hour to $0.38 an hour. That said we are an all volunteer effort so we are doing it more for the love of the project than to get rich. I would love to see groups be a thing. It’s such a large thing it’s not on my immediate work list though.

It’s one of the most important feature for any social media network and this has been dormant for seven years?

This should be priority number one!

How long would it take to create a group feature and what would it cost?