Honey, I shrunk the list of pods

Please don’t be seduced by the title, it’s not that :wink:

What I want to draw your attention to is the following List of pods When people see this, they have an unpleasant reaction (I asked some): “what the fuck is that?”; “why would I need to know those details?”; “what about podadmins?”; “why would I trust those servers?”

I suggest we make the lists of pods more user friendly and transparent in a social media sense. We could add for instance a link to the podadmin (not to his/her real name, if she wants to be anonymous, but to a short presentation of herself - like, hey, I’m podadmin X, I like this and that, welcome to my pod) or a printscreen of “why is this pod different from others”. I believe that would make joining diaspora* more entertaining and provocative!

Note: This discussion was imported from Loomio. Click here to view the original discussion.

Proposal: Change the way in which www.podupti.me looks and feels?

BLOCK - We don’t need that, biatch!

YES - Yes, we definitely need to make the list of pods more user - friendly!

NO - Let’s stick with the old one, that’s not so important right now

Outcome: N/A

Votes:

• Yes: 38
  • Abstain: 1
  • No: 0
  • Block: 0

Note: This proposal was imported from Loomio. Vote details, some comments and metadata were not imported. Click here to view the proposal with all details on Loomio.

This is an important point, and has been discussed many times before. BUT, podupti.me is maintained by @davidmorley and it’s not really part of the core project site. It’s of course the best we have, so that is why it’s linked to, being a good list of pods :slight_smile:

Btw, David has said many times that he will accept pull requests to improve the site. Want to improve it? Go to github, check out the code, improve and send a pull!

BUT, we do need a pod chooser in the project page too. IMHO, it should be more like a wizard, asking the user only a few simple questions, like what other social media sites the user uses (for the services). No lists, no complicated talk about pods and federation. Just a few buttons and then redirect to a suitable pod.

(btw, this proposal is kinda useless since no one here except David owns podupti.me… please don’t create proposals if the proposal cannot be “implemented”)

Again @jasonrobinson - we need the community to voice, I cannot just go to @davidmorley and say “Hey, you know…I don’t really like the list of pods, can you make it better?”. BUT if we stand for this together, maybe we can persuade him…persuade him to help us make the list better, of course :slight_smile:

Sorry I fail to see how voting on something will make David redesign
his site… :wink: Discussion GOOD, voting USELESS (unless the vote can
be implemented).

It will not help @davidmorley redesign his site, it will make him help us redesign it. Please don’t misinterpret what I’m saying, thx :slight_smile:

i didnt think podupti.me was too bad … i dont think making the presentation too complicated would help understanding? … i DEFINITELY agree with pods expressing their individuality … i was just checking out framasphere … great features :slight_smile: … i dont know … its the niave/power users question again?

@jakobdee that’s the point, the KISS principle (Keep It Simple, Stupid), but making it more user-friendly, like a French KISS :slight_smile:

The plan at some point is to take the best from Pod Uptime and combine it with the best from Jason’s stats page to form a new, ‘official’ pod selection tool which will be hosted on the official project site. When this is done, that’s when we can make changes such as you’re suggesting.

See this discussion, where such ideas are already being thrown around.

@goob good :slight_smile:

Proposals are for reaching a decision in a controversial topic. They do not force anybody to do any contribution, they are a way to deciding if an existing contribution is desired or in what way it must be modified before being accepted. They’re also a tool reach consensus on a controversial topic. Proposals are not for drawing attention to one topic, open source developers are usually good at finding ideas about what they’d like to do by themselves.

As such this proposal is another one that’s completely useless. I feel we need a subcategory we can move this useless proposals to or even just a policy to be able to clean them out.

@jonnehass, only the voting options listed in the proposal description box are acceptable in this group? Please point me to the bylaws so I can avoid causing any problems in the future. As it stands, “neutral” is the position I have with this issue.

If you do not like the existence of “neutral” vote in general, bring it up in the Features Loomio group and have it eliminated. Good luck.

@alexanderzatko Sorry for the confusion, I incorrectly used the term vote there and corrected it.

Replace this proposal with a new proposal to make a pod chooser that is controlled and implemented by this community.

@jonnehass :

As such this proposal is another one that’s completely useless. I feel we need a subcategory we can move this useless proposals to or even just a policy to be able to clean them out.

I’m not commenting on neurotic comments. They’re useless to me, too :wink: Otherwise thanks for your comment from your first paragraph :slight_smile:

@alexanderzatko you can choose to abstain if your position is neutral, thanks for popping in :slight_smile:

@msimoens Please feel free to edit the proposal, ty

@msimoens

Replace this proposal with a new proposal to make a pod chooser that is controlled and implemented by this community.

Please show me a single comment anywhere in this Loomio group opposing that idea. Otherwise see my comment above.

@jonnehass :

Please show me a single comment anywhere in this Loomio group opposing that idea. Otherwise see my comment above.

Well, fine: if nobody opposes that idea, why start a new proposal? (smile) I don’t know if everyone agrees on changing the podupti.me look and feel, on the other hand.