Honey, I shrunk the list of pods

i was considering maybe user-modded templates might be an idea to solve this … but remembering a conversation regarding a similar subject … the upkeep of fonts,etc can be sketchy … but,make any sense?

@jakobdee can you be more specific, please?

@praveenarimbrathod yes, I was also thinking of surveys! I think it would enable diasporians to have a more transparent interaction with pods/podadmins. It’s a good idea to benefit from decentralisation - to make the podadmins and users better interact (of course, within the limits of privacy).

@riderplus … i guess being specific … from what i can see of podupti.me

@riderplus … i guess being specific … from what i can see of podupti.me ,the essential data is there … i assume the issue at hand is one of coherence and cosmetics … so an added settings menu,so users can arrange pod data into their choosing … this also would probably cause David Morley the least reconfiguring because the code could be ‘bolted-on’ to the existing page … its difficult to say completely as my understanding of the technical side is still at a disadvantage… otherwise i would write a proposal right now … to accept or reject :slight_smile:

@jakobdee I mean: what are your proposals? Please re-phrase, I didn’t understand very well, ty.

Ok, I see. Yes, good brainstorming :slight_smile:

Look this, is an independent project to help new users choose pod, suggestions and contributions are accepted https://joindiaspora.com/posts/5264605

The first collaboration would be needed someone to translate to English. :slight_smile:

@juansantiago Please express your vote option (if you have one) and write in the vote comment the link, so that you make it more visible. Thanks!

@riderplus

Yes, I think podupti.me be improved (more info for newbies and info updated) but @jasonrobinson said, is a personal pryect by @davidmorley and David has not asked us about opinion :slight_smile:

I have not asked, but its open source, on github and I always ask for and encourage pull requests and am happy to implement them.

Hi @davidmorley and thanks for passing by. I opened a GIT ISSUE and wait until the voting session ends so that we can figure out how the new look should look :slight_smile:

Hi, I’ve been working on a possible integration of poduptime into a new foundation site, but first I want to send out a “Branding Guidelines” guide/proposal to the community that I’ve been working on, and then move on with the foundation site. By that time, it will be cool to work with @davidmorley and any interested developers to implement that integration for real, even if it’s through something like an iframe (which may be ugly for architecture, but unnoticeable for the user). I guess this will be next year.

My suggested roadmap will be to start iterating on a simple sketch for a list of pods in the foundation site, work within the branding guidelines, and then get to the implementation.

Once you get a proper UI sketch and spec, even lo fi, it’s easier to find a volunteer coder to do it for real, with much less effort.

(PS: consider these mockups as too opinionated, just the vision I had)

To me, that’s mana :wink: It looks awesome from here! I hope you and @davidmorley can find a way to work together, for the good of the community!

@hola really sweet, me likes :slight_smile:

BUT, I don’t think we should have a pod list at all, except under some “advanced” button or something. To get normal people to join, the pod needs to be chosen for them. A few simple questions and then redirect to a signup page, etc.

No need to ask for country - that can be taken from IP lookup. But one question could be checkboxes for other networks user uses (twitter, fb, tumblr, wp) - so a pod can be filtered accordingly. Once we have most used language in the statistics.json, we should ask that too.

Pod lists are just confusing to most people. Read the stream of confused people on the project Facebook page posts to see :wink:

Btw, I’m not sure podupti.me has an outgoing interface, but pods.jasonrobinson.me does -> http://pods.jasonrobinson.me/pods.json :slight_smile:

@hola

Meant to say (loomio wont let me delete comment), this is a really good idea:

but first I want to send out a “Branding Guidelines” guide/proposal to the community that I’ve been working on

Better work after people have accepted the guidelines :wink:

Haha, I was about to write the exact same @jasonrobinson :slight_smile: We should make it an option to choose country, security etc. though.

In the end people will sometimes have to talk to the podmin and in general I think that you should at least have the option to choose a podmin that talk your own language. But else I agree. This could also help distribute people more evenly to pods that had the resources.

Yeah, we don’t have country though at the moment. Hosting country doesn’t mean anything - otherwise most podmins would speak German or Dutch :wink: Like myself. I don’t :smiley: Hosting is just cheap there.

But agree, any worthwhile question that can be asked from the user to choose the pod should be asked. But a list of pods should only be after some “I want to choose manually” button imho.

Terms of Service is something that we should add to the statistics.json output. Two values maybe, “is_default” and “tos_url” - then the person can review ToS before signing up from the pod chooser wizard.

@jasonrobinson @hola :

BUT, I don’t think we should have a pod list at all, except under some “advanced” button or something. To get normal people to join, the pod needs to be chosen for them. A few simple questions and then redirect to a signup page, etc.

I’ll vote for this :slight_smile: I think it’s a wise idea not to load the page with all those details, though the interface looks awesomely cool :wink: