HTML5 media embed

I personally think that ![]() is error prone and unacceptable.

I also strongly beleive the media should be embedded in-place, not in the end of the post. If someone doesn’t agree, let’s discuss it or create voting proposal for that.

Here was proposed an idea, that we can embed media which are the only element in paragraph and leave them as links where they aren’t. The main complaint about link syntaxt was that it didn’t allow to decide whether to embed or not. And thus it’ll be kind of solved.

So if I write

blablabla

[text](link.webm)

blablabla

It’ll be embedded. And if I write blablabla: [text](link.webm) it won’t.

So if a user wants to show link but not video, he just has to add some text on the same line with the link. It’ll require quite a rewrite of my related PR, but I’m ready to to that, if we agree upon the idea.

Proposal: Embed direct links to media files in-place in posts

This proposal doesn’t focus on syntax. It is rather about a place to embed media. I propose to allow in-place embedding of media which is embedded directly with HTML5 supported media types. This mean they will be placed at the point where the markdown directive is written. On countrary, youtube and vimeo now get embedded at the end of the post. This also means, that it’s possible to embed more than one media file in a single post (vk.com allows it, for instance). This doesn’t mean every link to the media file will be replaced! Even if we pick the link syntax for embedding, we can implement it so the media embeds only when it is the only element in the paragraph (see my comment for explanation).

Outcome: We agreed that we should allow user to embed media in-place

Votes:

• Yes: 12
  • Abstain: 0
  • No: 0
  • Block: 0

Note: This proposal was imported from Loomio. Vote details, some comments and metadata were not imported. Click here to view the proposal with all details on Loomio.

@jasonrobinson, I would prefer embedding with the link syntax, but only in case when the link is the only element on the paragraph. That won’t be confusing, right?

Looking at the discussion at commonmark it looks like ![](http://example.com/song.mp3) will become the syntax, even if nothing is really acted yet.

I think it’s important that diaspora only accept audio and video content that’s delivered over https because of the security reasons.

but why that? we r terrorized allover, stations closed, journalists delivered, tortured & killed, paranoia is immanent in the subject and that’s why I vote against that-> frankly, I don`t believe in that "standard and rather would use kind of ISSecAuth:? :sweat_smile:

I’m all for a good handling of the media formats in our posts and the possibility to choose the layout of it.

Personally I’d prefer not to have the auto-embedding feature. I’m sure that a good “post editor” can easily replace this feature.

Imagine that if you type a link with the syntax [](), the post editor detects that it is a mere link to a page or a link to a media type, and then propose you to switch the syntax with ![]() and vice-versa.

Yes I think it is confusing if it doesn’t work like images do. People are already used to ![]() - why should embedding in place anything else work any differently? That would be confusing for users, there already is two ways to embed things:

• in place with ![]() for images
  • end of post for anything that support oembed

Having a third option for audio etc would be confusing.

For information, gitlab allows to embed video and it uses the ![]() syntax, see the Gitlab Flavored Markdown doc.

Bump…
It’s 2018 now… Still no way to embed mediagoblin videos in diaspora?

This feature has been implemented and merged to diaspora and will be available in 0.7.4.0 release.