Implement realtime chat, possibly using XMPP

Hey all… what about this: https://github.com/diaspora/diaspora/pull/5073 ? All I have to do is follow this instructions?

@anahuac it’s WIP still but sure, if you want to try that is awesome, to help the developers. But just don’t expect it to be stable with d* :slight_smile:

@anahuac It might be a good idea to reach out to the author of the pull request in case you have any questions. :slight_smile:

@anahuac : Not sure the patch is still up to date since the code has changed.

Proposal: Create an integrated XMPP client inside Diaspora and encourage thus to the podmins to run a XMPP server for their pods.

XMPP is a good choice, known by all us… diasporabrazil.org has implemented the XMPP chat with great results. I think that if every pod runs a XMPP server, it could function in a client integrated on the Diaspora instance. We do not need Heroku or any third party’s centralized server. We have many pods that can execute XMPP.
If we make a XMPP client integrated to the site, the podmins would be encouraged to run a XMPP server…
Look at the diasporabrazil.org XMPP solution at the #diasporabrazil tag.

Outcome: N/A

Votes:

• Yes: 5
  • Abstain: 0
  • No: 0
  • Block: 2

Note: This proposal was imported from Loomio. Vote details, some comments and metadata were not imported. Click here to view the proposal with all details on Loomio.

Is it a joke ? diasporabrazil.org hasn’t implemented anything. It has just installed the project currently and officially developped by diaspora*. There already is github repos for the development of an XMPP chat. See here for front-end and here for back-end. Chat has been added to next-major release. Just look at a few posts ago. I don’t see the need for a new vote here…

That’s what I also thought, Augier. We don’t need another proposal but a qualified pull-request.

@rasmusfuhse : The pull request exists also thouh it is not mergable yet :wink:

It will be used Heroku as XMPP server? It seems that there will be a centralized server with the possibility of make a new server from each node, but no as default. If it were thus, we will lose descentralization…
It’s great that the project is in development, but maybe you can consider my worry.

It will be used Heroku as XMPP server? It seems that there will be a centralized server with the possibility of make a new server from each node, but no as default. If it were thus, we will lose descentralization…
It’s great that the project is in development, but maybe you can consider my worry.

As I understood, problem of Heroku is that port 6222 (usual XMPP port) is blocked. So pods hosted on Heroku won’t be able to run an XMPP server.

All other can. Chat is already used on sechat.org, @lukasmatt’s own pod and diasporabrazil.org. I think there is one or two others. When it’s finished, all dispora pod wil have an embedded XMPP server in the form of a gem. Up to them to enable it or not.

So no, there’s no centralization to worry.

OOh, thanks for your explanation and your contribution to this project, I was waiting for that function and wondering when it will be applied, now I know that the development is advanced and as I was thinkin, with XMPP as server and client on each node. Thank you again and sorry for make a new proposal, I wasn’t understood…

No problem.
Take time to read the last few posts next time :wink:

Yes, I’m new on loomio and don’t saw that was more posts. It would be great also if you post the advances on #diaspora-hq to avoid these mistakes…

Well, I’m not sure if it’s time yet for an official post. Though chat has been added to next major, its release is not certain. This is a big feature that needs to be tested before official release. It should be a big disappointment for user if it was eventually postponed.

ooh, there’s no release date? well… at least, it’s in development.

Yes, there is. Next-major should be coming at the beginning of 2015 if I’m not wrong. But next-major also contains vital improvements to the federation. So if chat isn’t finished until then, it won’t be possible to postpone next-release.

Good new, the chat is now merged in develop branch. But it needs to be polished, so that doesn’t mean it will be launched in the next release.

Excellent :slight_smile:

A very good article which might be interesting to the participants of the discussion:

http://www.html5rocks.com/en/tutorials/webrtc/infrastructure/

i don’t know if this is the right point for this, but anyway my question:
how big would be the effort of enabling webrtc in the chat (as it is already included in jsxc?

1 Like