Improving and expanding hashtags usability

You want us to vote down your proposal all over again?

I’m not sure to whom you refer as “us”, everyone votes here for oneself, unless you mean to represent some group of people? And it’s the first time the vote is held on this proposal, so what do you refer as “again” to? The previous vote was on the limited idea of using to hashes for delimiting.

I guess I just don’t understand why whitespace is such a big deal.

Readability. The proposal actually describes what the problem is.

I see #hashtags as short classification of content with keywords. thus using more than one word seems “unintentional” to me.
Sure, the current parsing rules allow for #camelCase (and thus multiple words), but as a person with some experience in programming I would find it strange to complain about something like camel-case :wink:

So I suppose it’s still not possible to search for multiple hashtags? Seems like a very important feature to be searching for just the posts that you’d like to look for.

In the end the syntactical phrasing shouldn’t matter too much. The key is that any user should be able to search for just what they want to find. Thus, there should be a nice “Advanced tag search” view or something so that one could just add:

Search for: #energy #technology #sustainableenergy (Info: this will look for all posts that have all specified tags)
Also include: #solarpower #windpower (Info: all posts with any tag specified here will be listed)
Exclude: #nuclear (Info: no posts with any of these tags will be listed)

This does not cover all cases but offers a reasonable amount of flexibility that a person would want in a search.

How in the end this will be translated shouldn’t bother the user much. If still programming style searching should be possible then just enable it for those advanced users (e.g. “((#energy & #technology) | #solarpower | #windpower) & !(#nuclear)”… simply using basic bool operators.

The biggest problem I see around here is that a focus is missing: User-friendliness. Think of the person that has absolutely no idea about programming, or doesn’t know what electricity is but still uses a computer. If those users can use your interfaces well, then you’ve found the correct ones.

Perfect, so hashtags are case-insensitive.
Maybe it could factorize more hashtags removing all non [a-zAZ] sign inside label?
So:
free-software
free_software
FreeSoftware
are considered all the same tag?

1 Like

I’m using Diaspora for about two weeks now and think, it has potential. But what really puzzles me is that there are clear flaws one can find out after some minutes of using the web interface and these flaws don’t seem to get fixed in years.

I mean, tag management is almost not existing. When I follow a tag, I seem to get any post with that tag in the stream without a possibility to block single users on this tag. Example: I follow #politics and my stream gets spammed from a newspaper using this tag 20 times a day. But there seems to be no way I can just block this single account on this single tag. Detailed stream control should be essential!