Joindiaspora crisis

Also, you can just make a pull request the joindiaspora branch, it’s all open source

thanks @maxwellsalzberg and you’re right, we should look at the jd code too :wink:

Btw @maxwellsalzberg how is joindiaspora funded these days? Really relating to moving it to the project - how is the project going to pay for it? Do you have any sponsors for the pod and will those sponsors?

Note, people are still registering on joindiaspora even now. How is it possible when registrations are closed? Invites may be?

Yup, invites.

@goob Joindiaspora invites still work?

@diego yep

@jasonrobinson If I understood you well, I don’t think making joindiaspora a part of the foundation is a good thing. Diaspora is meant to be decentralized, and having a central point is not helping to achieve that.

joindiaspora.com needs to be closed ASAP. As soon as migration is released there must be a deadline for members of joindiaspora.com to find another pod. I’m not sure what the progress is on pod migration but in my humble opinion it should be the only feature being worked on at this point. Judging by the situation, the need for migration has become an emergency.

joindiaspora was never meant to last for an extended period of time. Just until the migration feature was implemented. Diaspora is in the best state that it has ever been so I feel like sacrificing other new features for migration is the most logical thing at this point.

In other words: It’s time to focus fire the effort. :slight_smile:

@macieklozinski AFAIK joindiaspora will be moved to the project - want it or not. It comes as part of Diaspora Inc moving assets to the project.

@justinmoore why? Joindiaspora is just a pod among others. At least it will be the more time goes by. It would be insane to close it just to force users to change - and thus lose probably half of them as dissatisfied users.

Also I don’t see why the existance of joindiaspora as a project asset will limit decentralization. We should just make sure to control the size of the pod - which has already been started.

@jasonrobinson I think if joindiaspora is an official foundation pod, It has somewhat favored position comparing to other pods, the way that it was prior to registration closing. In my opinion returning to that situation would not be good.

@macieklozinski there is no official Diaspora pod. The fact that joindiaspora will or has been transferred to be a project governed asset will not change this.

Note that it has been here that the community requested closing of registrations. It was not something that the previous joindiaspora.com maintainers wanted to do.

The community here wants joindiaspora.com not to be a central pod. So I doubt there will be any favouring - probably the opposite :wink:

@maxwellsalzberg in relation to this latest discussion on Github, would you mind updating status on the future of joindiaspora.com?

At some point you were saying it would be maintained by the community. Do you plan to maintain it in the future or do you want it moved to the community? How are the costs handled if that happens?

So, after reading the further posts I have some objections.

1. @cyclux mentioned an interactive map, which @shmerl first put in here. But instead of using cytoscape to reach the goal I’d go for jQVMap :slight_smile: I’m volunteering for writing a PoC, if someone can point me to a machine-readable source of the information needed.
  2. As it goes for geolocation, be aware that it can only be a nice-to-have, since the user have to give their consent to it.
  3. As @cyclux is also offering to write a template letter I want to highlight Google Alerts, which could be used to keep up-to-date concerning joindiaspora.com mentions in the press. (I know … Google … but I don’t know another tool with this functionality).
  4. As far as I know, the branch mentioned by @tomscott simply does not exist. I only know about ‘develop’ and not ‘master’ …

I really disagree with any location data.
Better is there language informaion.
What is location data there for? I can have russian pod in USA. For some reason. Maybe I can have nort korea pod in south korea. I really don’t understand location data.
podupti.me is fail also. There is server location, but me question is, for who is this information?
I as server admin don’t want have location public, but preffered language or community yes. Me pod is Slovakia and Ukraine.
Maybe there are some possibilities to detect server location, but in case anonymisation there is service as tor to hide server location.

Me answer to any location is: fail

@maxsamael , poduptime is supposed to help users to choose a pod. the location helps since usually a closer server gives better performance for the users.

@itai I will never public there pod server when is there location. Preffered place or language yes, but location never. Even when are based on IP.
Ok, I run server behind the TOR and this will me produce some waste there, no thanks…
I think the diaspora is aimed to secure data, then using TOR is good option. But anyway, I can put the pod to all the world.
Next thing, location aren’t no only one factor to the performace. There can be used good CDN service and this value isn’t used in this statistic. I can’t find if the pod has CDN service or other support service as replicated servers etc…

We are going out of topic here guys. This has nothing to do with joindiaspora…

With a name like JoinDiaspora shouldn’t you have something like this as your frontpage?
https://social.mbuto.me/podmap.html