'Like' shared posts up to the source and inform also the sharing

[Sorry for the (bad) English, not my native language.]

Typically you see a post shared by someone and then you ‘like-it’ and share it too, but not the ‘like’ neither the sharing are “informed” (assigned?) to the original post, so, if you want to recognize the value of the original post you have to go specifically to it in order to ‘like-it’. Also, a shared post doesn’t take account of the (many) times it can be re-shared by third people.
Wouldn’t be nice and proper if the ‘likes’ works like a cascade up to the original post and all the ‘re-shared’ appears also in the original post as ‘shared’?

Note: This discussion was imported from Loomio. Click here to view the original discussion.

I,m agree

DEFINITELY!!! Yes!!!

I’d love comments on reshares to filter up to the source too, that’s be amazing!

It always bugs me that when resharers happen to be more “popular” than the original poster (OP), they’re likely to get much of the love that should go to the OP, who thus may feel like his/her thunder is stolen, though it’s not really the case and certainly not the resharers’ fault. So yes, I’m all for “cascading up” (not sure about that expression, I’m not English-native either!) the likes to the OP. Resharers may or may not keep their share of the likes, I don’t mind.
Comments are another matter imo. For example, someone may reshare a post and exchange comments with their contacts in a language OP doesn’t know. OP doesn’t necessarily want to be cluttered with all those comments, especially when too often than not, the discussion quickly goes off-topic.
There are tools like http://rsv.diapod.net/ that display the whole reshare tree; it would be a good thing to have it integrated as a D* feature.

To me it seems like the initial idea was to “embed” the reshared post in a post of your own, to be able to comment or extend it when you reshare it.

But the way it is implemented now, I totally agree. It’s like a glorified “link” to the original, snatching all of the originals fame :wink:

No. I disagree on this proposal. If one of my contacts reshares a post, and I comment on it to interact with my friend, I do not want my comment to appear on the original post, made probably by someone I don’t know, and containing interactions which I’m not privy to (because the original post doesn’t appear in my stream).

This proposal would make reshares pointless and unworkable as far as I’m concerned, and if this were to be implemented I’d want reshares to be removed completely from my stream. I wouldn’t want to see a post I can’t interact on (or rather, on which any interaction I make it sent off to a different source.

The reshare system can definitely be improved, but this proposal is not a good one. It’ll cause confusion.

It would possibly be fair enough to display on the original post the number of likes/reshares made on reshares of that post, but the identities of those people should not be displayed on the original post, because they did not intend to interact directly with it.

I like the idea of the reshare tree, but the implimentation so far is pretty meh. I would much prefer a simple text tree.

@goob : I guess I see your point. The number of likes/reshares may be preferable to revealing identities. But you know that resharing is a public activity anyway, right? Only public posts can be reshared. And I don’t think you can see reshared posts from people you’re ignoring…

On a seperate topic, we could probably use the ability to share to specific aspects.

I like @xophael 's proposal to use an already existing tool, the beautiful share graph, within D* (modified, adapted, for sure). This would be a really cool functionality, something to show off :slight_smile: . It could be tried as a greasemonkey script initially.

likes : although one may want to make a distinction between “I like that you shared that” and “I like that”, I’d say likes should go to the OP, as opposed to

comments : which are, for a variety of reasons noted above, local, resharer-related.

If there was this graph functionality, it would serve as a map to the places where you can go and comment (the OP, but also other places where the are interesting spin-offs). This would be huge, imho.

@goob : On the other hand, it is a bit annoying to see three or four times the same post reshared by three or four persons. I don’t know if anyone has the same feeling than me on this.

On the other hand, it is a bit annoying to see three or four times the same post reshared by three or four persons. I don’t know if anyone has the same feeling than me on this.

You’re not the only person who dislikes seeing multiple reshares in the stream. However, that is a different issue, and the solution to that is to aggregate reshares in the stream.

Well, aggregate the reshares causes pretty the same issue. Consider this :

Someone posts something to call for help. Obviously, one of you contacts reshares this. If you want to comment this, what will you comment ? The original post or your friend’s reshare ?

I feel that the problem is a bit complicated.

@Goob: I agree comments should stick to the post they’re first attached to, though I admit I didn’t think about the resharer’s pov.
I understand and approve privacy concerns, but in this case, we’re dealing with public posts as @Chris reminded us. Besides, the reshare graph tool lets anyone have unrestricted view on who liked and who commented on which post in the graph. Privacy here is quite pointless.

The question underneath all is the purpose of resharing. As it is now, when we reshare a post, it’s like we forward it as it is so it appears in our contacts’ stream. We can’t add anything to it (except comments afterwards, of course). It’s different from a post embedding another as a “quote” (which is also possible on D*).
Now why do we reshare if not to spread around a post we liked/found of interest? Have you ever reshared a post you dislike/disapprove of? If your intention was to criticise the original post (OP), I guess you’d rather “quote” it in a post of your own, instead of resharing OP then adding a critical comment to your reshare?
All this to say: if we can reasonably posit all resharers take OP in a positive view, the likes on a reshared post can be safely applied to the OP too. But if usage shows a possible ambiguity on reshares, then it’s better to keep things as they are.

I was thinking, would it be possible to split up the reshare functionality into reshares vs embedded posts? I bet this idea has been around before, but this was my idea:

When resharing, a timestamp on the OP is updated, similar to the interacted_at, which is used when quering public posts. A reference post is then created for the resharer that maybe just “link” to the OP on the pod. When viewing a stream, the most recent reference post creates the elements and the ones that follow aggregates with the first one (reshared by). Reshares would then work almost as they do now, with the difference that the OP is shown along with all the comments and likes.

When embedding a post into a new post, the user can add their own thoughts, and the comments/likes only affect the new post (as they do now).

I understand and approve privacy concerns, but in this case, we’re dealing with public posts as @Chris reminded us. Besides, the reshare graph tool lets anyone have unrestricted view on who liked and who commented on which post in the graph. Privacy here is quite pointless.

My comments are nothing to do with privacy - about stopping people from seeing my comments - but to do with context. If I interact with a certain post by a certain person, I want my comments to appear on that post, in the context of other comments made on that post, and not to appear on another post with a different context (made by a different person, and likely with other comments which I have not seen). If I want to comment on the original post rather than the reshare, guess what? I click on the permalink of the original post and reshare it.

@augier:

Well, aggregate the reshares causes pretty the same issue.

Indeed there is a similar problem caused by aggregation. I expressed that in a comment on the Github issue I linked to. It is something which would have to be worked out if aggregation was implemented. However I see that as a separate issue, so let’s not confuse this discussion by bringing that issue into it.

The only interaction on reshares which I think should be fed back to the original post is the resharing of reshares. I think it would be good for the original poster to get a notification that their post has been reshared, even when it was a reshare of the original post that was reshared.

Indeed there is a similar problem caused by aggregation. I expressed that in a comment on the Github issue I linked to. It is something which would have to be worked out if aggregation was implemented. However I see that as a separate issue, so let’s not confuse this discussion by bringing that issue into it.

You’re right !

So on this particular issue, I join myself to your point. I don’t see feeding original post with reshare’s comments as a good idea. Furthermore, with very popular posts, it could rapidly turn the original post as not understandable with people answering each other with no link with other comments (I don’t think the idea is well-explained…)
Something I would refer to in french as “conversations croisées”, cross-conversations.

Just for the record: The initial proposal was only about up-cascade (?) the Likes to the OP (added it to it) and inform it about the total number of re-sharings (with or without the identities). For one side to allow the OPer to know the “social impact” (?) of his/her post and for the other to allow the reader of a re-shared post to “show her/his love” also to the OPer. Certainly, we don’t know a priori if that would be always the desire, it’s just that in my case it use to be.

About the send/copy/duplicate/etx comments through re-sharings I found the idea completely explosive and cacophonous, can’t see the point, would be like a big arena where all the people shout at once in disorder and without coherence.

I guess there’s a natural tension between be careful and respectful about the privacy of the people’s actions and interactions, and allow the socialization between not-in-my-contacts people.

I agree with:
@goob

It would possibly be fair enough to display on the original post the number of likes/reshares made on reshares of that post, [not sure about this] but the identities of those people should not be displayed on the original post, because they did not intend to interact directly with it. [How we know?]

@chris26

On a seperate topic, we could probably use the ability to share to specific aspects.

@Perig Gouanvic

likes : although one may want to make a distinction between “I like that you shared that” and “I like that”, I’d say likes should go to the OP, as opposed to
comments : which are, for a variety of reasons noted above, local, resharer-related.

In other news: Thanks a lot to everybody for the so many so informative critics and appreciations, !