My comment disappeared, but how?

I was the first one to comment here. Wondering why my comment isn’t there anymore… Wondering how it works if you report a comment, and a podadmin decides to remove it? No notifications?

Most likely either the person who made the post removed your comment, or it was removed by the podmin/moderator.

It’s impossible for anyone to know except them, so you’re best to ask them directly.

Wauw, that just seems so weird that’s even possible. Shouldn’t the victim of censorship at least be notified by the diaspora software? Like ‘hey you’re comment got removed’…

Each person is able to ‘curate’ their own posts, which means being able to remove comments they don’t want to appear. It’s not censorship, because you’re free to say whatever you want on your own posts.

Sending notifications to tell people that their comment has been removed tends to create more antagonism; that person is likely to jump into the thread and start accusing people of censorship, etc. In my opinion it’s best not to send notifications in that instance.

Obviously I have no idea what has happened in this particular case, or whether your comment was even removed intentionally. Perhaps it just didn’t succeed when you tried to post it originally. As I said before, if you want any answers, you’ll have to ask the only two people who could possibly know what has happened: the originator of the post and the moderation team of the pod.

1 Like

Sending notifications to tell people that their comment has been removed tends to create more antagonism; that person is likely to jump into the thread and start accusing people of censorship, etc. In my opinion it’s best not to send notifications in that instance.

I think you’re making a lot of assumptions that aren’t reasonable here. If you click on the link you’ll see the opposite happened here… Look, the thing is; I put in effort and time for the amusement of everyone right… and to discover that my content was just removed without even being informed and without the possibility to retrieve what I’d written seems very very rude. It’s completely ridiculous in my opinion…

At the very very least I should be able to tell who removed the comment. This is of the utmost importance to my user experience! If it was the poster I’d click on ‘ignore’, if it was the podmin I’d go to a different pod…

I’ve made no assumptions whatever about you or what has happened in this particular case; as I said, it’s impossible to know what happened in this case, which is why you need to speak to the only people who can possibly help you. I stated what, in my experience, often happens in such situations, and why I think it is better not to send notifications when content is removed.

You’re assuming that your comment was removed intentionally because someone found it objectionable; as I said, that’s only one of various possibilities. Rather than getting upset based on assumptions, why don’t you ask the only people who could possible explain to you why your comment is not currently visible? It might be that there is no record of it in the database because when you pressed ‘Comment’, the send failed. Who knows?

We have had multiple discussions about this topic before, and another one won’t change the outcome.

The closest analogy anyone could come up with so far goes the following. When you post a comment under someone else’s post, you are putting up a poster in someone else’s room. They can accept it and leave it up; they can take it down, explain to you why they took it down, and give it back to you. They can also take it down and use it to light the fireplace without telling you.

As an admin, I inform users when I delete contents, and explain the reasoning behind it, except if it’s spam or obvious and malicious trolling. As a post author, I delete off-topic comments whenever I think the discussion will get messy if I leave them in place. These are my decisions, and everyone on diaspora* can make their own choices. Automatic notifications would not only, as @goob rightfully outlined, add fuel to some fires, it would also limit the moderator’s abilities in their own policymaking. Moderation tools are created to empower those using it, not to restrict them.

Censorship is defined as limiting someone’s free speech. The moderation tools provided by diaspora* do not do that, because on diaspora*, limiting one’s free speech is technically impossible. No moderation tool can stop you from setting up your own pod, enabling you to build your own policies and distribute your posts the way you deem it important. You’ll also be able to make your own rules for comments below your posts, and whether you’re going to delete comments or not, and whether you’re going to tell people you have removed something or not.

Please get in touch with the post’s author. They are the only one who can tell you if they deleted it or not - and this is by design and will not change.

2 Likes

Yeah we’ll see about the outcome in the end. Tnx for the warm welcome @denschub :roll_eyes:

At the very very least I should be able to tell who removed the comment. This is of the utmost importance to my user experience! If it was the poster I’d click on ‘ignore’, if it was the podmin I’d go to a different pod…

Ok, at the very very very least make it that podmins are required to notify. That way if I discover my comment was removed and I didn’t get a notification I know it was the author of the post and can go on with my life. If you want to prevent the people who’s comments got banned from jumping back in the thread just add to the moderation tools the option to ban that person from commenting again on that post.

You cannot send a message to somebody who doesn’t share with you did you know that? How am I supposed to ask that without going offtopic on the thread?

Secondly @goob I know for sure the send didn’t fail because I was notified by another commenter that my comment was not there anymore…