NEW blog for diaspora*

@jasonrobinson Yeah…that was my initial proposal which was blocked. But thank you for your support :slight_smile:

@riderplus we’ve decided in the early Loomio days that a block is only a no. Besides, NO ONE can block you from creating a page on the internet and working with other community members.

@jasonrobinson It is one thing to create a blog and work with other community members and quite another to make the change official on Loomio. I guess we can all agree on that. Otherwise what’s the sense of us discussing here? :slight_smile:

Well, adoption is really the thing that determines officiality - not deciding something, IMHO. But talk is always good, I think you just were a bit eager with the proposal thing… :slight_smile:

Yes, maybe :wink: I’m also very talkative so please excuse me if I’m overdoing it some times.

This is now sounding exactly like the ‘planet’, which needs creating by someone so that community blogs can be aggregated and hosted on the project site.

Yes, @goob, too bad Loomio has no option to merge the discussions/ proposals…

FWIW, we already have a working planet source, but it’s not merged into the project site yet.

I’d support a planet if there are active community blogs and I’d be happy to merge it in.

^^ +1 yes I’d be glad if you, @dennisschubert , did that.

@dennisschubert a planet (or a community blog) would be nice, but I worry about the translation of the content. I could write blogposts and talk about the project and the french community, but I don’t feel comfortable enough to do it in english. Could we imagine an interface maybe with tabs (one per language), to easily manage languages in a planet / blog? Every post would be posted in a language, and readers would be encouraged to translate it with a tab “translate this post” for example.

Fla, as the ‘planet’ would be an aggregation of blog posts written by community members, I don’t think there is any need to translate blog posts into other languages (e.g. yours, written in French, into English). Your blog posts would be for the French community, other people would write for the German community, English community and so on.

I guess a language filter would be nice (perhaps each blogger included in the planet could indicate which language they will be writing in, so that the foundation site doesn’t need to implement automatic language detection), but I don’t see it as essential.

+1 for what Goob said

Well I’m almost sure people would think it’s weird to find a post with only a french version on the official website so we should think about the translation process now before setting up the planet.

If it’s a planet the posts will not be official project posts - just collected under the project. They might not even be about diaspora, even if they should :stuck_out_tongue:

If it’s a planet the posts will not be official project posts - just collected under the project.

Well it can be a problem as the idea is to show that the project himself is alive and dynamic :confused:

Well it can be a problem as the idea is to show that the project himself is alive and dynamic

I don’t see it as a problem. The project is community-driven, so if the community it shown to be alive and dynamic, that means the project is (and also shows that the project is not centralised and corporate-controlled, like the big networks).

I don’t see it as a problem. The project is community-driven, so if the community it shown to be alive and dynamic, that means the project is (and also shows that the project is not centralised and corporate-controlled, like the big networks).

Well, not necessarily. diaspora* IS alive and dynamic, but the way in which the interface of “joining diaspora*” looks right now, the way in which the list of pods feels, and the lack of basic features on the diaspora* platform seem to contradict its being “alive and dynamic”. It’s still very very much nerd pollution going around, too much complaints and no solutions, too many outdated opinions that keep its progress blocked. So I disagree with you on that: the project is going forward, people are working, but the interface of the project, the interaction between diaspora* people that don’t have the skills to program and programmers is still poor, which makes the project lag lag behind other social networks in terms of functionality. This is not a pessimistic remark, it’s realistic, and we have to make diaspora* more democratic than it is right now…in all its aspects. That’s just my point of view, so don’t blame me for bringing about these :slight_smile:

@riderplus, I agree with what you say about improving the experience for prospective members; however, my comment was addressing the specific suggestion of aggregating community-sourced blogs in a blog ‘planet’ on the project site, not on the wider experience. If we did that, the fact of there being many posts from many people about Diaspora would in itself show that the project is alive and moving.

The other parts of the interface, as you call it, such as the pod-choosing tool, can certainly be improved to help the process of bringing people in to Diaspora, but that is something separate from the specific point about community blogs I was addressing. To show that this decentralised project is alive and moving, we don’t need the blog posts to be written by a central ‘Diaspora HQ’ on the official blog; they can be written by other people on their personal blogs, and displayed on the Diaspora site in the ‘planet’.

Hope that makes more sense.

@goob I see, yes, now you made it more crystal-clear. I totally agree on your above points: aggregation in the planet is the way to go. I agree with you because the whole idea of decentralisation is maintained, and that’s one of the things diaspora* is about: “unity in diversity”, even though it’s a stereotype atm