Node.js: fork - yes or not?

I do not believe that the Diaspora project’s time is well spent re-implementing the already-existing server in YASPLE (Yet Another Shiny Programming LanguagE). However, if you have the skills to write a Node implementation, go ahead. In the process, you will expose some of the weaknesses in federation, private messaging, tags, etc and you may gain new insights of how to fix them.

I don’t want write new shitty fork, I don’t have enough people to participate in project.
Maybe is better improve this project with good mined things.
Example: autoupdater, real and usefull admin area, “Login with D*” button, etc…
PS I think the Node.js is on good way, maybe is it now young, but very interesting.
I’m programing always with it + Express + Angular.js and maybe other plugs.
With this can be developing fun, not as hard as rock in ruby.
I do there many things, but skeleton will be in all means rock hard skeleton… (IMO)
Maybe when is there some people work in Node.js we can group together and made something based on diaspora network, but I’m alone lost.
Do you understand me ideas? And thank you for comment.

Diaspora was a good idea with horrible execution. You never attracted developers because you wrote it in Ruby. Ruby is ugly. Ruby on Rails is cumbersome and ALWAYS broken. The community is HORRIBLE with agreeing. You have to use a BILLION different versions. You spend all day getting versions to AGREE! NodeJS is perfection. It’s clean and consistent with the internet. It unifies the back and the front end. It’s MUCH easier to look at. It UNIFIES the front end and the back. JavaScript is older, better managed, more consistent. Node is stronger, faster, easier to work with, cleaner, faster (faster), more flexible. Node is the future of the internet for the next few years. Ruby on Rails makes me want to vomit. It’s a re-imaging tangent of the internet that caused everyone to have to reinvent everything from scratch and now of course it’s unmaintainable. JavaScript is backed BY THE ENTIRE WORLD. It’s not going anywhere and EVERYONE already knows it. You want developers? You want support? You want anything from Diaspora to last? You will take it to Node and You’ll love it. As such I may skim through your code and see if there are any well thought out algorithms I can use to recreate a decentralized social network in NodeJS, which happens to be on the main brain of the evolution of the internet, while Ruby on Rails withers away and all the avant guard hipsters go back to painting maybe something can be salvaged. Thanks for all the work. Too bad you could never even host your own server on joindiaspora.com. What a massive indication of failure.

Hey kids, let’s play “Dissect the hyperbolic rant!” The argument above is inherent in just about any debate of language vs language, framework vs framework, as it is ultimately an argument about mindshare rather than technological merits.

Diaspora was a good idea with horrible execution. You never attracted developers because you wrote it in Ruby. Ruby is ugly. Ruby on Rails is cumbersome and ALWAYS broken.

That’s largely subjective; many people would argue that Rails is just as good if not better than node for many things, depending on what you’re using it for. People have complained about Diaspora not being in PHP, Node, Go, Java, C++, and other languages before. You can’t please everybody.

Semantically speaking, Rails and Node are not all that different from one another.

NodeJS is perfection. It’s clean and consistent with the internet.

There are inherent security problems in trying to write both the frontend and the entire backend in just JavaScript. Oh look, the thing you have tied directly into your database is joined at the hip with the thing you use users to log in and perform POST functions with! Hope you’re a brilliant JS coder and never accidentally leave a huge gaping security hole open! Then your whole app is screwed!

Node is stronger, faster, easier to work with, cleaner, faster (faster), more flexible.

Subjective, subjective, subjective, subjective, subjective, subjective. For a real-world example of what a decentralized social application on Node looks like, go play with Pump.io and cry about it.

JavaScript is backed BY THE ENTIRE WORLD.
Even Joe Blow the Illiterate, my Grandma, and tribal children who know nothing about technology whatsoever? Uninformed consensus does more harm than good.

You want anything from Diaspora to last? You will take it to Node and You’ll love it.
We’ve been doing just fine on Rails and Backbone, thanks.

What a massive indication of failure.
Don’t let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.

and all the avant guard hipsters go back to painting

Lol :smiley:

@nicholasjuntilla - Want a Node.js fork? Do it! Just don’t tell others they should do it, if you’re not doing it yourself.

There is already a Python fork - maybe Node.js just isn’t very popular as no one has started a Node version…

Ps. I love Node - but saying it’s gold and ruby is shit is just stupid.

@maxsamael

I do not understand enough to say if nod. It’s better than ruby, but I’m sure you do not need to ask permission to fork or supplement Diapsora .

I like what you propose: improving management area, css, api, aplicaiones, auto update, etc…And if you make an easy pack to install, you would make a god to peopple with engout knowledge!

Adelante don Quijote!!!

@juansantiago : I already evoked with another dev the possibility to use Capistrano which is a deployment tool made by the rails community to easily deploy D* pods.

It seem like @joebew is already working on.
I don’t know much about deployment tools. I use Glu @ work which is a groovy framework made by LinkedIn but which is very difficult to use…

Don’t get me wrong. I love JavaScript. It’s my favorite language right now. (Also, not coincidentally, the one I’m most experienced in.) It definitely has its detractors, though. Even Douglas Crockford, the high guru of JS, can give you a laundry list of its flaws.

Or, look at PHP. If you do a quick web search, you can easily find dozens of articles complaining about the “inherent flaws” of PHP. And yet…what’s written in PHP? Facebook and Wikipedia! I’m not going to say that the choice of language isn’t important (because it is), but the choice of language does not indicate success or failure for a project.

Wasn’t RoR the hotness at the time D* began development (2010)? And now Node.js is? Obviously, you can’t rewrite your entire codebase every time something new and shiny comes along. A few days ago, I was daydreaming about a social network written for Node. It could be very cool. I don’t know enough about Node to say whether or not it’s up to the task, but it seems like it could be an awesome project. Not for Diaspora, of course. Somebody would have to start all over from scratch. BUT, if somebody wanted to do this, I certainly wouldn’t disparage them for it!

I still don’t understand what the big noise is about. You want a node.js fork of diaspora? Just go ahead and fork it. If you are successful and there are similar-minded out there, the project will develop eventually.
You just can’t force someone to code for you. :slight_smile:

Peace!!

PS : Node is great and RoR is shit? I agree with the former. But latter? Sorry but that statement is pure crap buddy.

I should’ve read this thread closer before replying. There already is a social network for node.js — pump.io. So, if that’s where your interest lies, I think it would make more sense to help out that project.

has anyone managed to get npm to work on an android minipc?

thats the problem with most things these days - too much dependency on package managers that don’t work properly or take too much control away from the user!