Notifications

Automatic is bad, but mark as read every notification one by one is not nice. We should improve the system by auto mark as read every notifications related to a post when it is open in the SPV.

If i can something else; another small improvement to notification would be the pop-up to show the last 5 UNREAD notifications instead of the last 5 notifications.

This would allow to check one by one all the notifications without having to go to the notifications page.

@morgenstern I’m still waiting for confirmation from @steffenvanbergerem as to whether the functionality shown in the video will be included in this PR. I thought it was, but apparently it is not (yet) part of it. Apologies for the confusion.

@goob

I can work on my PR again and create a similar user experience to the one you see in the video. However, like I said we still need someone to finish the PR.

Again: I am not the one who will finish this PR so I am not able to promise anything. As soon as there is someone who would like to finish the PR I will volunteer to help getting that functionality you see in the video.

Again: I am not the one who will finish this PR so I am not able to promise anything. As soon as there is someone who would like to finish the PR I will volunteer to help getting that functionality you see in the video.

@steffenvanbergerem if you could add the video functionality to the PR now, before it it taken up by someone else, that would, I think, be enormously useful. Then the other person would only need to add a user setting, and the full functionality should survive into the final merged code. Would you be happy to do that?

Would it be useful to make a post about this from the diaspora* HQ account to get some wider feedback?

@flaburgan it already works this way

@goob we are not voting on changing anything else than what should be the default way if the PR is merged in (once someone adds user settings to it). What is it that is not clear about the functionality? In any case, no functionality will be removed.

If we make the new way default it will also be consistent with the mobile page since that is how it has always worked there. Also the “mark as unread” now actually works, since it doesn’t get marked read again. Having this on my pod for a while now I can say the notifications are so much more useful now.

@goob I implemented that functionality with some additional improvements in a new PR.

Thanks a lot, @steffenvanbergerem. With that, I’m happy for the auto-mark-as-read to be removed.

@goob it will not be removed - it will be available via user settings if NO passes here. If we want to remove it - we should vote separately.

@thomasl That has already been implemented and will be available on your pod after the next update.

yaaay \o/ :slight_smile:

Flaburgan said:

We should improve the system by auto mark as read every notifications related to a post when it is open in the SPV.

Jason said:

@flaburgan it already works this way

@jasonrobinson no it doesn’t. I open my notifications using the link in the e-mail, and my notifications counter doesn’t go down. You can make the test easily, when you receive a email about a notification, check on diaspora how many unread notifications you have in the header, click on the link in the email and check again the unread notifications in the header, and you will see that it is the same number.

@fla

@flaburgan that sounds like a separate bug - I’m quite sure when clicking a post notification from the notifications menu it marks all notifications as read related to this post. I’m actually very certain. If it doesn’t work that way when coming from emails then it’s a bug :slight_smile:

Proposal: Change notification dropdown functionality without user settings

As the vote to change the default way the notifications dropdown would work was quite decisive (in favour of new functionality) - I’m making a follow up poll to implement the NEW functionality without keeping the old one available in user settings.

There are many good reasons to do this;

• The old functionality is inconsistent. Notifications are not automatically marked read in the mobile view or when viewing all notifications. Why then when opening the dropdown?
  • We should not let diaspora* end up in a user settings chaos where there are hundreds of options to confuse new users
  • We should be simplifying the code, not creating logic to keep old functionality

Thus my proposal, vote as follows;

YES - We remove the “automatically mark notifications as read after 2 seconds when opening the notifications dropdown in desktop mode”. This small code change is already in pull request #4810 (https://github.com/diaspora/diaspora/pull/4810 ).

NO - Make the change, but keep the old functionality available via user settings.

Outcome: We remove the “automatically mark notifications as read after 2 seconds when opening the notifications dropdown in desktop mode”. This small code change is already in pull request #4810 (https://github.com/diaspora/diaspora/pull/4810 ).

Votes:

• Yes: 20
  • Abstain: 0
  • No: 1
  • Block: 0

Note: This proposal was imported from Loomio. Vote details, some comments and metadata were not imported. Click here to view the proposal with all details on Loomio.

@rich1 it’s only a few lines of javascript to remove from the code. Bringing in a new user setting would be extra code to maintain.