NSFW content and the single post view

We need to decide if we want to enable the NSFW shield in the (new) SPV. See https://github.com/diaspora/diaspora/issues/3336 and https://github.com/diaspora/diaspora/pull/4410#issuecomment-22986956

Let me summarize the points so far raised

Pros:

• A user may be pointed to a single post without knowing its contents.
  • It’s not always clear in the notifications if the post you participated on was NSFW or not.

Cons:

• Most of the time you go the the SPV to actually see the post, adding another click to that is bad UX.

Note: This discussion was imported from Loomio. Click here to view the original discussion.

Personally I don’t think we need it.

Maybe one should have the option (in the Header-Bar) to enable / disable NSFW-Content for the current diaspora-session? So that you don’t have to individually click every nsfw-shield but just decide “i’m at work / with friends” and turn it off - or turn it on, just as you want to.

I think it’s superflous. There is no paging anymore in the new SPV, so noone can reach an NSFW post by accident, except if pointed to by someone else, in which case it is their responsibility.

Honestly, I think the NSFW is fine just on the stream, but putting it into a post is redundant. I agree on the point that adding an extra click to see a post is bad UX.

I think it’s redundant except in the case where someone sends someone else a ‘dodgy’ link without a warning, but that’s not the kind of case that Diaspora’s software should be coding for, I don’t think.

Block NSFW on the streams, as people haven’t then signed up to seeing that image. Clicking a link to view a post in the SPV is in itself pretty much an authorisation to view that material.

I’d go for dumping the NSFW in SPV - good points by Jonne in the opening.

how about a “timed” overlay … if a post is really #nsfw, the content is hidden and the overlay says something like "this content is #nsfw, showing it in 3 … 2… 1"
which would give you a chance to “hit the panic button” and close the tab/window.

Sounds… complicated. And still not really needed IMO.

It would only be annoying any place other than the stream.

Countdown overlay is also bad UX in my opinion. I’d rather do one more click - it’s faster.

Just a thought. This seems to be more about exposure to NSFW content, than how it is displayed in SPV.

So what about something like this : in the nav bar (next to “Stream” and “My Activity”, there is two user selectable buttons “SFW” and “NSFW” or something similar.

When you click on “SFW”, all posts tagged with #nsfw are hidden from the stream.

Also, on a related issue, I have noticed another niggly little problem.

If a User is set to NSFW in their profile and shares a public post, that post can then be reshared without the #nsfw tag.

I agree with @jonnehass that we don’t need it.

Is it time to take a vote on this so we can either close the Github issues (if we decide NSFW protection on SPV pages is redundant) or look for someone to work on it (if we decide it’s needed)?

Most of the comments above suggest it is redundant in SPV, albeit with some exceptions. Do we need a vote to consolidate this?

I guess we do… Mind setting one up? Thanks :slight_smile:

Sure.

Proposal: Apply NSFW shielding to posts in SPV

Is it desirable for content marked NSFW to be hidden in single-post view as well as in the stream? YES if you think NSFW posts should be hidden in SPV, NO if you think this is not necessary.

See discussion for pros and cons.

Outcome: The NSFW shield won’t be applied to posts in the single-post view.

Votes:

• Yes: 4
  • Abstain: 6
  • No: 18
  • Block: 0

Note: This proposal was imported from Loomio. Vote details, some comments and metadata were not imported. Click here to view the proposal with all details on Loomio.

NSFW in SPV can make sense to avoid a surprise if people open the SPV via the notifications menu.

It would be useless for those opening a NSFW posting from the stream.

I agree with @faldrian, that should be an individual question. Best thing is to have the choice to select if we want to hide or not the NSFW content in the configuration menu.