Posting to contacts belonging to all selected aspects (Conditional AND)

First, I just discovered Diaspora* and I think it’s incredible! I’m very excited by this project.

It would be great if we had the option to post to contacts belonging to ALL the selected aspects.

For example if I select the aspects “french” and “politics”, I would like that only my contacts who are assigned to both “french” and “politics” received the post.

This should probably not be the default behavior, but having the possibility to do this would allow us to target the audience of a given post even more.

Let me know what you think of this idea.

Note: This discussion was imported from Loomio. Click here to view the original discussion.

This would be a quite unique feature for Diaspora* compared to it’s competitors. I’d like it, though I have to admit that it is very “special” and we first should concentrate on more important things :wink:

But: Good idea :slight_smile:

Hi, glad you’ve discovered Diaspora and like the concept.

Yours is an interesting idea, but how would you suggest implementing it in practice? I think it would be very confusing. A lot of people seem to have difficulty grasping the idea of posting a certain aspects at all, so if there were two options when posting to multiple aspects (any of these or all of these) it would likely mean people posting to aspect sets they didn’t intend.

Any practical ideas to get around the confusion? I’ve got a feeling this idea was rejected early on in the project’s life because of the difficulties in implementing it. If you have ideas to make it feasible, it would be interesting to hear them.

@francoislamontagne I love the idea! However, I’d also love it if you found developers eager to implement it :wink: As @thomasl pointed out, there are basic features to be worked upon by the core developers before going into this kind of glam rock :slight_smile: Otherwise thanks for bringing that about!

Thanks all for your feedback!

@goob, here is one idea to keep confusion as low as possible:

Below the list of aspects, add a note (using a smaller font size) which reads something like: “contacts assigned to any of the checked aspects will receive your post”. The “any” part would in fact be a drop down list containing the following options: any, all.

Or, instead of a drop down list, which is perhaps a little bit geeky, the “any” could be a hyperlink. When you click on it, it changes to “all”. If you click again, it gets back to “any”.

Also, this option would not be visible if:

1. only one or less aspect is checked
  2. the “All aspects” option is selected (in this case, we go for the default behaviour)

I have experience with Rails, so if enough people find this idea interesting, I would be glad to contribute!

I have experience with Rails, so if enough people find this idea interesting, I would be glad to contribute!

@francoislamontagne I think many people do find it interesting, but just to be sure - try and start a poll here, so that you get feedback directly from people. Thank you!

Proposal: Should diaspora make it possible to share to contacts belonging to ALL selected aspects?

I am not sure if the title is clear enough, so let me explain.

Example:

If I select the aspects “french” and “politics”, I would like that only my contacts who are assigned to both “french” and “politics” receive the post.

The “danger” with such a setting is to add complexity to the UI for such an advanced option.

Here is one way to do it that would in my opinion keeps the UI lean and simple.

Below the list of aspects, add a note (using a smaller font size) which reads something like: “contacts assigned to any of the checked aspects will receive your post”. The “any” part would in fact be a drop down list containing the following options: any, all.

Or, instead of a drop down list, which is perhaps a little bit geeky, the “any” could be a hyperlink. When you click on it, it changes to “all”. If you click again, it gets back to “any”.

Also, this option would not be visible if:

1. only one or less aspect is checked
  2. the “All aspects” option is selected (in this case, we go for the default behaviour)

If enough people find this idea interesting, I would be glad to contribute!

Outcome: N/A

Votes:

• Yes: 4
  • Abstain: 2
  • No: 5
  • Block: 0

Note: This proposal was imported from Loomio. Vote details, some comments and metadata were not imported. Click here to view the proposal with all details on Loomio.

Thanks Camil, I just created a proposal.

Here are two small mockups showing how we could integrate this feature.

oh, I see now… good idea.

Jonne Haß, something we don’t see in the mockups is that this option would only appear if you select at least two aspects, which is something not very common I think.

@steffenvanbergerem

I,m do not think this will add another layer of complexity, not aspects are difficult to understand, we thank google copied Diaspora aspects and called circles in her social net googleplus (in g+ can choose several circles, aspects ), thanks to them people already know this concept. :slight_smile:

Pump.io also allows choose several groups and this does not seem to be a problem.

@juansantiago @steffenvanbergerem

I agree with Juan, diaspora* users are not morons.

@steffenvanbergerem @goob
What can cause confusion? People who want to use Diapsora just like now be able to continue doing without noticing difference.

@juansantiago I think anyone reading this would feel confused about the way in which confusion is brought in just to prevent people from making diaspora* more interesting :wink:

Hmm, my idea is starting to look like a no go.

As a french speaking person who also read and write in english on a daily basis, there has always been a feature missing for me in social networks. Sometimes I’d like to send posts to my french speaking contacts only. Other times I’d like to send posts to my english speaking contacts only. And other times I’d like to send post to both.

So at first I thought I could solve this problem with Diaspora’s aspects. It kind of works but not if I want to specify a second “real” aspect in my post, for example “politics” or “technology”. If I post something with “french” and “politics”, my “english” users who are tagged “politics” will also receive the post. It’s a problem because if it’s written in french, they won’t understand and they will most likely remove me from their stream if I keep posting them posts in a language they don’t understand.

This is why I had the idea to add this feature basically. There are other use cases but this is the one I had in mind.

@flamontagne , I agree with you, and to my mind, it’s a good idea. But I think there are more important things to work on at first. Après tout, ce problème est présent sur Facebook également, non ? and it doesn’t bother that much fb’s users.