Promote diaspora-installer packages on wiki

Now that apt-get install diaspora-installer is available, I think we should promote them prominently on wiki. Currently only Hamara Linux includes it in official repo of a stable release with other distros coming soon.

Note: This discussion was imported from Loomio. Click here to view the original discussion.

Proposal: create a section for automated installation and add Hamara

We should add Hamara in a separate section since it has an installer package. We can add other distros here as and when they have the package in their official repo for a stable release.

Outcome: It is not ready at the moment, will revisit after addressing the concerns raised.

Votes:

• Yes: 2
  • Abstain: 0
  • No: 3
  • Block: 0

Note: This proposal was imported from Loomio. Vote details, some comments and metadata were not imported. Click here to view the proposal with all details on Loomio.

I have a few questions:

• Over which channels will you support troubles during installation?
  • How do updates work with the package?
  • How will updates work that require manual intervention, like the upcoming 0.5?
  • Which Ruby versions does the package support?
  • respective distro bug trackers are preferred for support
  • we are yet to implement updates (may be we can wait till we implement updates before we promote it). We are planning to implement it when 0.5 is released.
  • are the interventions only for migrations or some other cases? we’ll have to inform users if manual steps are necessary.
  • the default ruby version of the distro (currently it is 2.1 on debian)

I’m not sure what is meant by “separate section”. Why not just add some more info under the “Installation/Hamara” page - or make a “Installation/Debian package”? It could be in a different sub section, just like PaaS environments etc are.

It is great that packaging work is being done but IMHO the package cannot be the preferred method simply because any kind of packaging will always lag behind unless the packaging is done by the core project. That would take a while to reach that stage where packages would be the preferred method of distribution for diaspora I think.

@praveenarimbrathod so, 0.5 is out, what’s the current state of your work, how do you plan to deal with updates, especially those including manual step actions?

@flaburgan new installations use 0.5.0.1. I’m currently working on 0.4 to 0.5 update, hoping to complete in next few days. Minor updates are already handled.

I feel the diaspora-installer would get more visibility in the install guides if it was an entry in the Debian section, not a note in the Debian guide itself.

So under Debian 8, Debian 7, Debian 6, have it as Debian package and with a new page detailing very briefly what it is and where to get more information about it - unless you want to maintain that information in the Diaspora wiki.