Public post federation

My comments were never just about diaspora, so looking at diaspora internals and what happens to block what has little value or relevance, for me at least. I think the design should suit any server implementation that happens to implement the diaspora protocol, not just one made with RoR with the components Diaspora has chosen. I encourage the diaspora team to also think through the protocol, not through the server software. Still, it is possible the analysis by Dennis still stands, I have no wish to contest that any further.

The technical solution for the future is clear with these comments. I will close the respective diaspora and friendica issues to send interactions to the relay. I will remove reaction forwarding from the relay once diaspora starts to auto-subscribe to all incoming posts. Hope that happens soon, the current situation is not ideal.

New pods has to start small. I made this experience some month ago.
A news pod(min) should subscribe to some well known people, they will fill the public stream little by little.
With gelten larger, more people with more interactions will fill the pod slightly faster.

On the other hand to receive hundreds of posts immediately after subscribing to a relay server may DOS your pod very fast.

The code for the relay mechanics is already removed for the next major version.