Public profile bookmarks within diaspora

sometimes you want easy access to a profile but don’t want to make it a contact/aspect

things like public bots, feeds or other kinds of things that you like but don’t want in the main stream or any other views

they can be bookmarked in the browser but if there were a feature or an aspect of some description in the application then these bookmarked profiles could follow your user account

Note: This discussion was imported from Loomio. Click here to view the original discussion.

@aj better raise this as a feature request on GitHub - this place is not for feature requests :slight_smile:

i think we need to clarify where to do this

it says one thing in the wiki, and another thing on github

@aj could you link please the exact places and we can clarify?

i’ll see what i can round up, i’m not real familiar with how things are done, i did take time to try and figure out where to make this suggestion and landed here :slight_smile: if Diaspora Community :arrow_forward: Feature Proposals is not the place for feature requests, how is it different?

okay… not that you guys are short on feature request or anything like that :)_ on github, there is no clear place for it that i can see, unless i add it as an “issue”? and on the wiki there is another place for “proposals” that seems maybe right for this request, but the wording there boggles my mind… https://wiki.diasporafoundation.org/Category:Proposals
perhaps i should be adding my request there

@aj I think feature requests should be in our issue tracker on github. (open a new issue).

We use loomio for community decisions. If there is someone on github who doesn’t like the feature we might ask you to create a proposal here on loomio so the community is able to decide if the feature request should be closed/reopened. As long as no one has any objections it is a valid feature request and should be in our issue tracker.

If there is someone on github who doesn’t like the feature we might ask you to create a proposal here on loomio so the community is able to decide if the feature request should be closed/reopened

While this thread is not really the place to discuss what I’m about to say, I’ll go for it anyway :slight_smile:

With Diaspora having over 1,000,000 users, how many of those do you think look at Github? I’ll take a wild guess and say it’s less than 1%

My point is, the only people who are likely to object to anything on github are the people using github. The other 99% of the Diaspora user base will never even be aware something is happening.

I think I’ll go with @rich1. Feature requests should likely be on the Forum in a subsection named Feature request and this section of Loomio should likely be Feature controversies.

So you think the 199 open feature requests on github should all have their own thread on the unofficial diaspora forum? Should we move the bug reports also to the forum? What do we do with opened ‘bugs’ in our issue tracker when we find out that it is just a missing feature? (and vice versa) Given the fact that a lot of diaspora* devs aren’t active users of the forum: How do we make sure that the devs are aware of the existence of a feature request? How do you close feature requests on the forum once they have been implemented or we decided that we don’t want the feature?

So you think the 199 open feature requests on github should all have their own thread on the unofficial diaspora forum?

I think it was official now ? Wasn’t a post on the official blog about the forum ?
Apart from that, no, I think there should be some king of community manager on the forum, charged to adress the feature requests and port the most asked or interresting ones on github.

How do we make sure that the devs are aware of the existence of a feature request?

This is the goal of the diaspora* user group I’ve already talked on IRC (briefly).
Htere are thigs that must be discussed on that point but still I think there’s things to do about that.
Currently, the forum is not that much used and Loomio is flooded by can I haz feature ?.

I also think this discussion should be ported in another thread of Loomio in Governance Proposal section.

git hub seems to be where the feature requests are now, i mean simple requests from users about thingys they would like to see included in the application (not really issues but it seems that is where they are now) –

there are a lot of good ideas out there – my suggestion would be to make it clear with a link right in diaspora, where the place for user requests is –

i agree that most users would not think to use github issues for feature requests, and right now it’s not easy to tell where the proper place is even when you take time to look

I think that it would be best to just use an aspect for profiles you want to follow, filter it out of the main stream and view only posts from that one aspect when you feel like it.