Reanimate cubbi.es

Goob, cubbi.es wasn’t meant to be a photo album. From what I remember, it was Dan Grippi’s idea. He was surfing around the web, finding funny pictures, and saving them to his computer. What cubbi.es does is bookmark those pictures, and make them available from your cubbi.es account. That means you can access them from your smartphone, tablet, or whatever, in one easy place. All you had to do was install a Firefox add-on, and then you could simply shift-click any picture on the web, and it would be added to your cubbi.es account. (The way they were stored was as one long page of embedded images, like a Tumblr page.)

Now, the main thing that I liked about cubbi.es, was that if you had your cubbi.es account linked to your Diaspora account, the picture would get posted to your D* stream as well. This made it super-easy for people to post stuff. More stuff posted means more content, which means more people wanting to use Diaspora.

No offense to whoever made the bookmarklet, but it doesn’t even do the same job. Maybe you have a different bookmarklet, but the one I have merely posts a link to a webpage to your stream, which is not the same as posting an embedded image.

Another thing that’s great about it is that it’s really addictive, and it’s something none of the other social networks have.

Ah, right, thanks Brent. You’re right that Cubbies was Dan’s idea, and may well be right about the rest - which would explain why I never managed to get to grips with it, although I installed it when it was first released!

I have a user asking about this. Is there any movement on it? From what Brent said, it seems interesting. Is there an active dev, might it come back or is it dead?

For the moment, it’s dead, but with the new python API, maybe someone will take a look at it again…

@brentbartlett , “What cubbi.es does is bookmark those pictures, and make them available from your cubbi.es account.” I believe it also saved a copy of those images (so that if the ‘bookmarked image’ was deleted, the cubbi.es version still existed.

@Stephen Marsh , I don’t think so. I don’t remember any dead images showing up, but the site is hosted on Heroku, and I think that hosting all of those images would take up loads of bandwidth.

While I know this is an older discussion, what about working closer with the guys over at MediaGoblin? They’ve already put in the hard yards developing a system that supports audio; video and text. OEmbed and a “Share on D*” button shouldnt be too difficult :wink:

Sorry for the necro post.

@starblessed take a look at this discussion.

Thanks @torstischulz - Didnt see that one :wink: