Request and share contacts to ease discovery

One advantage centralized services have is the ability to search and find people using just their names. In diaspora we have to use their full address if were to find a person who us on a less known pod. This could be simplified by friend suggestions. We should be able to easily choose contacts and send it to friends. They should get a notification and a new aspect in contacts list as suggested friends. If we can’t find a person by their names, we should be able to request our contacts in a easy format if they know the id of the person we are interested in.

Note: This discussion was imported from Loomio. Click here to view the original discussion.

Here is the issue on GitHub: https://github.com/diaspora/diaspora/issues/3388

We should be able to easily choose contacts and send it to friends. They should get a notification and a new aspect in contacts list as suggested friends.

No, we shouldn’t be able to send other people’s contact details to a third party without their express permission (which seems to be what you’re suggesting). This would be a complete no-no in a service which claims to provide ‘privacy’ and ‘ownership of your own data’.

No, we shouldn’t be able to send other people’s contact details to a third party without their express permission

@goob you can already do that - just send someone a message with another persons details!

But it seems if this is to be implemented a vote is needed. And of course any profile visibility (currently we have none) should be taken into account when, if, implementing the feature.

@praveenarimbrathod if you want this implemented, please consider creating a vote here. I’ll tag the issue on github as “loomio needed”.

Well yeh, but there’s a difference between someone abusing trust on their own initiative and actually encouraging this by coding a means to do it into the software, isn’t there?

@goob I don’t think its abusing trust. This will share only people’s public profiles.

Proposal: implement an easy way to share contacts to ease discovery

We should be able to recommend a friend to share with people they might know from our contact list

Outcome: Withdrawing this proposal for a clearer one

Votes:

• Yes: 14
  • Abstain: 0
  • No: 9
  • Block: 1

Note: This proposal was imported from Loomio. Vote details, some comments and metadata were not imported. Click here to view the proposal with all details on Loomio.

@goob I still don’t see this as abusing trust - profiles being public. The actual implementation should of course follow profile visibility rules. Currently we only have a limitation on searching - maybe those can be filtered out? And if we actually had private profiles, those obviously.

I’m not sure to really understand what this proposition is about.

When we visit someone’s profile, there can be a link which says ‘suggest contacts’, which will open a popup window with contacts excluding those who chose to make their profiles not searchable (we could another option to disable this ‘don’t show me on suggested contacts’). We can select the contacts, like we manage aspect memberships (click to select or unselect). We can show suggested friends on right panel and also send a notification. Also a new section of suggested friends can be shown in contacts page. I don’t see any abuse here as we are sharing only already public info and we are allowing people to opt out.

Oh, it would be more or less like vcards you can send by SMS for cellphones ?

It’s a good way for new users do not feel they are in a desert and to extend the Diasora sociability.

in aspect settings there is “contacts in this aspect are able to see each other” toggle, but i don’t recall ever seeing contacts of somebody else aspect

Mmh, shall we give this another week?

@jhass +1

@dremodaris this is not only GUI … you may introduce additional notifications which a user may not want or introduce new post-types … what is to be done is not clear from the text currently in this proposal.

Well, if I PM you someone’s address, you’re notified too.

But this is a strong argument against:

Well yeh, but there’s a difference between someone abusing trust on their own initiative and actually encouraging this by coding a means to do it into the software, isn’t there?

Another week is a good idea, there was barely any discussion.

Well, if I PM you someone’s address, you’re notified too.

Sure thing. This detail helps a lot in understanding how you imagine that feature … was not clear from the existing text here.

I would wish for a more detailed workflow how this feature should / could work and how it would be presented to the user (and what constraints are there for this feature to work or to be allowed to work - like “people must share with each other”).

@jhass I would like to make a clearer proposal once this closes.

Something like:

When someone visits a user who they share mutually, an option to suggest contacts should appear.

In profile settings user should be given options,

• ignore suggested contacts
  • don’t list me in suggested contacts

when suggest contacts option is listed on a profile, clicking on it should open a list of all contacts who chose to make their profile searchable and suggestable. Once the suggested contacts is sent, the user who receiving it should be notified. Optionally suggested contacts list could be shown on right pane. Once clicking on the notification, user should be taken to contacts page with suggested contacts shown like an aspect. User can choose to share with them.

Since the default is ‘not show me in suggestions’ and ‘don’t show me suggestions’, it is an opt in. I think the privacy concern and forcing suggestions concern is addressed.

Please suggest improvements before I submit it.

I think if we add an explicit setting, tying it to the searchable flag additionally is not only redundant but even confusing.

@praveenarimbrathod maybe you want to block your own proposal then?

@jhass okay, will consider only suggestable flag then. I will withdraw the current proposal then. I will set outcome as ‘withdrawn for a clearer proposal’.