Revenue model for Diaspora* and all decentralized social networks

So why not paying $100-200 license to a Linux/BSD/ whatever secure commercial FLO OS someone can offer us, and get quality and stability?

This is actually what Red Hat do. But it works for them because compagnies have special needs. I dividuals don’t. And in fact, they don’t care wether it’s Windows or Linux or OSX.

For diaspora*, the only buisness model I see and that is not risky is to propose to compagnies, associations, individuals turn-key servers with maintenance.

@smdm

do you find it interesting to create a job-board for Diasporians, who want to have a job and combine it with working with Diaspora?

While I think existing platforms probably exist for advertising this kind of thing, sure, at some point it would make sense to IMHO link from the project page to some site where people can find someone to do stuff with diaspora* for them for money. Feel free to set one up :wink:

Also, what about discussion boards/events and hackatons around it for people like you?

I think we already have lots of discussion here, on diaspora*, even a forum. The community attends events sometimes, like FOSDEM. Yatra is busy in India. All this is ongoing all the time. People do meetups too, at least in Berlin. I plan on doing some in Helsinki.

These ideas are normal things that go around in a healthy community. The problem is we don’t have a really dedicated person to collect all this and maintain things like event pages or do project comms. Until someone like that signs up to work on that side, it’s everybody does what they do and communicates how much they can :slight_smile: