Sidekiq unable to start

I’ve decided to eat the cost of getting a second VPS…I absolutely hate having to do that, but that’s my only option. So, I removed Mastodon entirely from my server, but once I did, now I’m getting this error from sidekiq:

(Here’s the pastebin if that’s easier to read: https://pastebin.com/HVGssgfg)

E, [2019-01-12T02:31:32.370918 #22222] ERROR – : [diaspora:sidekiq:sidekiq1] Exception: Permission denied @ rb_sysopen - /home/diaspora/diaspora/tmp/pids/sidekiq1.pid ["/home/diaspora/diaspora/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/eye-0.10.0/lib/eye/process/system.rb:11:in initialize'", "/home/diaspora/diaspora/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/eye-0.10.0/lib/eye/process/system.rb:11:inopen’", “/home/diaspora/diaspora/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/eye-0.10.0/lib/eye/process/system.rb:11:in save_pid_to_file'", "/home/diaspora/diaspora/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/eye-0.10.0/lib/eye/process/system.rb:125:infailsafe_save_pid’”, “/home/diaspora/diaspora/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/eye-0.10.0/lib/eye/process/commands.rb:204:in daemonize_process'", "/home/diaspora/diaspora/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/eye-0.10.0/lib/eye/process/commands.rb:14:instart_process’”, “/home/diaspora/diaspora/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/eye-0.10.0/lib/eye/process/controller.rb:11:in start'", "/home/diaspora/diaspora/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/eye-0.10.0/lib/eye/process/monitor.rb:115:inrestore’”, “/home/diaspora/diaspora/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/eye-0.10.0/lib/eye/process/scheduler.rb:74:in scheduler_consume'", "/home/diaspora/diaspora/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/eye-0.10.0/lib/eye/process/scheduler.rb:126:inscheduler_run’”, “/home/diaspora/diaspora/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/celluloid-0.17.3/lib/celluloid/calls.rb:28:in public_send'", "/home/diaspora/diaspora/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/celluloid-0.17.3/lib/celluloid/calls.rb:28:indispatch’”, “/home/diaspora/diaspora/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/celluloid-0.17.3/lib/celluloid/call/async.rb:7:in dispatch'", "/home/diaspora/diaspora/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/celluloid-0.17.3/lib/celluloid/cell.rb:50:inblock in dispatch’”, “/home/diaspora/diaspora/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/celluloid-0.17.3/lib/celluloid/cell.rb:76:in block in task'", "/home/diaspora/diaspora/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/celluloid-0.17.3/lib/celluloid/actor.rb:339:inblock in task’”, “/home/diaspora/diaspora/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/celluloid-0.17.3/lib/celluloid/task.rb:44:in block in initialize'", "/home/diaspora/diaspora/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/celluloid-0.17.3/lib/celluloid/task/fibered.rb:14:inblock in create’”]

1 Like

Anyone got an answer for this?

Did you even read the error message? Or did you just post it here?

1 Like

I just posted it here because I didn’t really understand the error message.

I checked the owner of the file, it’s “root”. Should it be someone else?

I’ve been troubleshooting all day and haven’t found a solution for this…

You (hopefully) start diaspora as diaspora user, so it obviously needs to be writable by that user.

1 Like

Turns out I do, let me try that

Since this is trying to do file management deep inside the diaspora folder structure it should be owned by the diaspora user not just have diaspora user have permissions there. Yes giving permissions will probably fix the problem but my bigger question is how root became the owner of one or more of your Diaspora directories and files?

I don’t understand it either tbh. This issue only appeared once I removed mastodon from the system.