SMTP setup done but mails are not sent

Hi everybody,

I’ve some troubles with the sending mails (via smtp), I’ve configure it to the config file, with the same parameters that I use in others tools like nextcloud.
But diaspora still desperately dumb…
No mail are sent (i’ve try several destination adress) from “restore password” function or “invite friends” tool…

How can I test and check where the problem is ? Here under you can find my configuration.

mail: ## Section

## First you need to enable it.
    enable: true

## Sender address used in mail sent by Diaspora.
    sender_address: '<myadress>'

method: 'smtp'

## Ignore if method isn't 'smtp'.
    smtp: ## Section

## Host and port of the smtp server handling outgoing mail.
      ## This should match the common name of the certificate sent by
      ## the SMTP server, if it sends one. (default port=587)
      host: 'ssl0.ovh.net'
      port: 465

## Authentication required to send mail (default='plain').
      ## Use one of 'plain', 'login' or 'cram_md5'. Use 'none'
      ## if server does not support authentication.
      authentication: 'login'

## Credentials to log in to the SMTP server.
      ## May be necessary if authentication is not 'none'.
      username: '<mylogin>'
      password: '<mypassword>'

## Automatically enable TLS (default=true).
      ## Leave this commented out if authentication is set to 'none'.
      #starttls_auto: true

## The domain for the HELO command, if needed.
      #domain: 'smtp.example.org'

## OpenSSL verify mode used when connecting to a SMTP server with TLS.
      ## Set this to 'none' if you have a self-signed certificate. Possible
      ## values: 'none', 'peer'.
      #openssl_verify_mode: 'none'

If I follow the faq about troubleshoot with mail I’ve got this :

diaspora@vps567136:~/diaspora$ RAILS_ENV=production bundle exec rails runner 'Notifier.admin("test message", User.where(username: "efhache")).each(&:deliver_now)'
Rack::SSL is enabled
/home/diaspora/.rbenv/versions/2.4.5/lib/ruby/2.4.0/net/protocol.rb:176:in `rbuf_fill': Net::ReadTimeout (Net::ReadTimeout)
        from /home/diaspora/.rbenv/versions/2.4.5/lib/ruby/2.4.0/net/protocol.rb:154:in `readuntil'
        from /home/diaspora/.rbenv/versions/2.4.5/lib/ruby/2.4.0/net/protocol.rb:164:in `readline'
        from /home/diaspora/.rbenv/versions/2.4.5/lib/ruby/2.4.0/net/smtp.rb:950:in `recv_response'
        from /home/diaspora/.rbenv/versions/2.4.5/lib/ruby/2.4.0/net/smtp.rb:553:in `block in do_start'
        from /home/diaspora/.rbenv/versions/2.4.5/lib/ruby/2.4.0/net/smtp.rb:960:in `critical'
        from /home/diaspora/.rbenv/versions/2.4.5/lib/ruby/2.4.0/net/smtp.rb:553:in `do_start'
        from /home/diaspora/.rbenv/versions/2.4.5/lib/ruby/2.4.0/net/smtp.rb:518:in `start'
        from /home/diaspora/diaspora/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/mail-2.7.1/lib/mail/network/delivery_methods/smtp.rb:109:in `start_smtp_session'
        from /home/diaspora/diaspora/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/mail-2.7.1/lib/mail/network/delivery_methods/smtp.rb:100:in `deliver!'
        from /home/diaspora/diaspora/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/mail-2.7.1/lib/mail/message.rb:2159:in `do_delivery'
        from /home/diaspora/diaspora/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/mail-2.7.1/lib/mail/message.rb:260:in `block in deliver'
        from /home/diaspora/diaspora/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionmailer-5.1.6/lib/action_mailer/base.rb:558:in `block in deliver_mail'
        from /home/diaspora/diaspora/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/activesupport-5.1.6/lib/active_support/notifications.rb:166:in `block in instrument'
        from /home/diaspora/diaspora/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/activesupport-5.1.6/lib/active_support/notifications/instrumenter.rb:21:in `instrument'
        from /home/diaspora/diaspora/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/activesupport-5.1.6/lib/active_support/notifications.rb:166:in `instrument'
        from /home/diaspora/diaspora/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionmailer-5.1.6/lib/action_mailer/base.rb:556:in `deliver_mail'
        from /home/diaspora/diaspora/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/mail-2.7.1/lib/mail/message.rb:260:in `deliver'
        from /home/diaspora/diaspora/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionmailer-5.1.6/lib/action_mailer/message_delivery.rb:96:in `block in deliver_now'
        from /home/diaspora/diaspora/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionmailer-5.1.6/lib/action_mailer/rescuable.rb:15:in `handle_exceptions'
        from /home/diaspora/diaspora/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionmailer-5.1.6/lib/action_mailer/message_delivery.rb:95:in `deliver_now'
        from /home/diaspora/diaspora/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/railties-5.1.6/lib/rails/commands/runner/runner_command.rb:37:in `each'
        from /home/diaspora/diaspora/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/railties-5.1.6/lib/rails/commands/runner/runner_command.rb:37:in `perform'
        from /home/diaspora/diaspora/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/railties-5.1.6/lib/rails/commands/runner/runner_command.rb:37:in `eval'
        from /home/diaspora/diaspora/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/railties-5.1.6/lib/rails/commands/runner/runner_command.rb:37:in `perform'
        from /home/diaspora/diaspora/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/thor-0.19.4/lib/thor/command.rb:27:in `run'
        from /home/diaspora/diaspora/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/thor-0.19.4/lib/thor/invocation.rb:126:in `invoke_command'
        from /home/diaspora/diaspora/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/thor-0.19.4/lib/thor.rb:369:in `dispatch'
        from /home/diaspora/diaspora/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/railties-5.1.6/lib/rails/command/base.rb:63:in `perform'
        from /home/diaspora/diaspora/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/railties-5.1.6/lib/rails/command.rb:44:in `invoke'
        from /home/diaspora/diaspora/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/railties-5.1.6/lib/rails/commands.rb:16:in `<top (required)>'
        from bin/rails:9:in `require'
        from bin/rails:9:in `<main>'

Some one can help me?

1 Like

Nobody can help me ?

Well, it looks like it can’t connect to the configured server: Net::ReadTimeout

But I can’t tell you why, maybe wrong host? Or wrong port? Or a firewall somewhere in between? Mail-Server down? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

but I’ve tried a telnet from the server (where diaspora is installed) and get no problem to connect on the smtp server.
So this is not a problem of url, port and probably not from firewall (on the same server I’ve disapora and nextcloud, I’ve no problem with nextcloud with same config…)

a read timeout means it actually successfully connected, but it didn’t get any response to the message it sent. Make sure the port you connect to is actually running an SMTP server and check that server’s logs.

Hi thank’s for your reply.
As explained above problem is not in host, port or… I’m sure at 200% about this infos :wink:

Finally I’ve resolved the problem by configuring exim as sendmail in diaspora config file.

Now diaspora can send email via exim.

Problem solved, thanks all for the help