Tagging people in photos

1. In photos we will only see tagged people if they are contacts of us.

Is there any reason for that? Why don’t we just use the privacy options the post/photo gives us? (Everyone who is allowed to see the photo would be allowed to see the tagged people)

Is there any reason for that? Why don’t we just use the privacy options the post/photo gives us? (Everyone who is allowed to see the photo would be allowed to see the tagged people).

Because not everyone who can see the photo may be contacts of those who are tagged, and this is to prevent “profile leaking” which is important to some.

I think photo tagging is annoying. I don’t like photo tagging at all

@sethmartin, In contrast I think photo tagging is important to diaspora. Care to explain why you find it annoying? Do you upload photos of friends? It is a very convenient feature.

I have no Facebook friends to ask … since I have no account there any more.

But just in case one would tag me on a photo, I’d demand him or her to remove it from the web. I do not want any photo of me in the web (except I upload it on my own … displaying only one person). So what do you suggest in this case?

Here in Germany, the law grants the citizens a “right on the own picture”.

Hence I upload only photos showing things. Who knows, what “bad guys” could do with my photo a few years from now?

But just in case one would tag me on a photo, I’d demand him or her to remove it from the web. I do not want any photo of me in the web

That is your right of course. However do you understand that according to this proposal you would not be tagged without your permission?

I want to ask something: if lots of privacy issues has to be addressed, how this will be explained to non-geek people?

We want to atract people, but we have to explain them the reasons behind all this. Its nice to say “you can ‘tag’ your friend”, but we have to explain the privacy issue there:
“But just people you want, also people they want, also people who you have as contact, also people who you have at the aspect, also…”

I think it may be much to explain, maybe difficult… Remember, we have to make them easy as well and ensure that privacy is our maximum, our primary objective. We don’t want to let them think we don’t have “control” about that.

I use the @-mention to call the attention to the people involved in a photograph. Is more simple and respect the aspect privacy feature.

It’s pointless to discuss features if there’s nobody to implement them.

@sebaspedersen and others - using mentions instead of tags is actually worse for privacy because people can mention and so associate you with a photo without the control of parts 2,3, and 4 here. Best for privacy would actually be to disable mentioning for photos or limit it in a similar way to the proposal… With that said, if there was an option to mention people in individual photos rather than in posts, it would answer the need of this proposal as far as I’m concerned (I don’t mind that much about people associating me with photos, obviously many of you are more sensitive to that which is why I suggested 2-4).

Itai, you may be right, and the privacy implications of @-mentioning in photos perhaps has to be discussed separately. But the answer to that problem is surely not to add a new way to tag people in photos! We already have a way (mentions) of ‘tagging’ someone - if we’re going to use anything, let’s use that and tie up any privacy leaks present in the current system of mentions.

Goob, I generally agree. As I said, if there was a way to @ mention people in individual photos it would answer the need of this proposal.
Currently mentions only work for posts which may group several unrelated photos, we can’t mention people in photos published by somebody else (in comments), and we can’t mention ourselves at all, even in our posts. So this system is not really suitable for tagging contacts and ourselves in photos.

That’s true, but there are discussions on organising photos (we recently agreed to use #tags to organise photos), and about enabling mentions in comments.

In my opinion, the way to approach this would be to work on using the existing #tags and @-mentions in diaspora* to cover this instance. That is, organising photos through use of #tags so that they can be viewed outside the context of a particular post, and extending @-mentions so that (a) they can be used in comments, and perhaps also (b) so that they can be used as a means of mentioning (‘tagging’) people in photos, within the privacy guidelines you mention above.

I like to idea of using mentions for tagging contacts in photos (if it is expanded as you describe). Still it’s not without issues: for example how to differentiate mentioning of someone who is actually in the photo from mentioning meant to get someone’s attention to the discussion about a photo (in its comments). I think it is an implementation detail however, and as the proposal doesn’t specify exactly how it should be implemented, there is no contradiction.

@adrenalin Please read the proposal carefully. Uploading photos is possible right now and this proposal won’t change anything about it. The proposal also says that YOU should be able to tag YOURSELF on a photo. You won’t be able to tag anyone but yourself. The only thing your contacts are able to do is to send you a private message and ask you to tag yourself on a photo. Again: you are the onyl one to decide if you would like to tag yourself on a photo.

@steffenvanbergerem

photo tagging of other users annoys me, getting tagging requests I am forced to deal with are annoying too. Having this implemented in the general profile settings with default “no” will lead to confusion (remember the nsf-tag??) . And implementing that feature is a waist of time as long as we have lots of more important stuff to get done.

My 2 cents. So still strongly against this, not only a simple “no” sorry.

@adrenalin That’s fine. It’s your decision. Just wanted to make sure that your decision is based on valid reasons which it is like you pointed out in your answer.

@adrenalin I understand that people may be annoyed by those requests so people need to be able to disable tagging for their account or at least disable those notifications. And about the “waste of time” argument: Diaspora* is currently a kind of DOocracy- so if there’s someone willing to implement this feature after a successful proposal it wil be done, if nobody wants to do it it wouldn’t be.
Imho blocking is a quite strong vote and you should reconsider it. Nevertheless, I accept your vote.

@trollischmittlauch I won’t leave d* if it gets implemented :)) . I used the “blocking” instead of the simple “no” to show I really strongly disagree on the feature and there won’t be anything to convince me about how desperately needed a photo-tagging feature is. I did/ do not want to block the discussion or implementation. It just means I am out of this topic as my final (strong) decision is permanent.

The vote is kind of moot anyway since AFAIK no one plans to implement the feature any time soon? :slight_smile: Should we extend the vote since it seems to be very finely cut to each side? Allow more discussion etc.

well we have a result? 9:7+1 so 9Yay 8Nay or does "blocking count double :))

Ohh please take your time to find someone willing to work on implementing it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Blocking is just a strong no. We decided that when we started using Loomio :slight_smile: