Proposal: Disallow translation of the installation guides
What changed since the last proposal:
- We allowed translation of the guides for over a year now, so far no serious or sane attempt has been made.
- The more serious attempts caused havoc on the English guides and had to be partially reverted.
- I haven’t met a single podmin who can’t understand enough English to follow the guides.
Additional arguments not mentioned in the last proposal:
- You need to run a server to run Diaspora. When you run a server you should understand English, at least to be able to respond to eventual abuse notices.
- If you run a server, in order to keep it secure, you should follow security issues, which are first published in English.
- Still a lot of documentation external but related to Diaspora is only available in English.
- We can’t ship example configs in all languages, that would be even harder to maintain. Thus you’ll need some English skills when it comes to configure your pod.
- The logs are in English. Making these translatable would be insane.
- We won’t maintain a Changelog, that contains mandatory upgrade notices, in multiple languages.
- We won’t wait to release until we have release notes in every language we (might) have an installation guide in. Especially for security releases.
Points of the last proposal still stand:
Installing and maintaining Diaspora will at some point need you to understand English, allowing translations of the installation guides in the official wiki would just create the false impression that this isn’t the case. Also a lot of effort went into making the installation guides easy to maintain and therefore always up-to-date, translations effectively harm this effort, bringing more out of date information to this essential part of the community and software.
Agreeing to this proposal will cause any existing translations to be removed from the wiki
Outcome: Translations of the installation guides are no longer allowed.
Note: This proposal was imported from Loomio. Vote details, some comments and metadata were not imported. Click here to view the proposal with all details on Loomio.