Very confused re business eligabilty

Hi Fla, taking baby steps here.
Do I use that diaspora ID to send you a message in the Diaspora system?
I did try but is says: “hey, you need to add a recipient first” so obviously I am missing something crucial here.
Cheers
Peter

search for it in the top bar, then add me on one of your aspect. You will then be able to mention me in posts. If I add you back, you will be able to send a private message to me.

Good grief: “Instances, Aspects, Pods.”
Like learning a third language!
Oh, that was a joke before anyone becomes upset~
Thanks, I will try that.
Cheers
P

Everything would be much easier for you if you start by reading the tutorials, that we already linked to you.

@bicyu if you’re really keen to send Fla a private message, you can do that right here in Discourse. Click on someone’s name and a card will appear with options, including messaging.

(I’m only saying this because Fla has indicated above that they’re willing to receive a message.)

Hiya @goob now that is really useful and good to know.
If I could I would give that a +1! :100:
But I think I am about at the end of my patience and am ready to give up.
Obviously I am not smart enough to use Diaspora - despite reading the tuts.

Yes, when all else fails, read the instructions.
Which I have.
Problem is the tuts you kindly linked me to at the beginning of time don’t quite explain why what I thought was an email doesn’t work.
Once you clarified it was an ID and the process it was - relatively - easier.
So I see your comment as a little unfair verging on sarcasm. Not a good look in a support board.

However, I have read many posts where the popularity and growth of Diaspora among the masses is a subject of anx,
If you want to be a viable, competitive alternative, maybe sticking with tried and true language and terminology might be a good idea? Generally speaking, mainstream social media users are not terrible tech aware.

Like it or not, we live in an instant gratification age, people just want to plug it in and go. Quote apple: “It just works.”
We develop tools and solutions for businesses. The use and operation, as some fictitious TV detective once said, needs to be in language a 2 year old can understand.

If you see Diaspora developing as a small, intimate, less rushed, less busy environment, outside mainstream social media that is great.
As for me, I think I am about ready to give up now.

It’s been two weeks that 3 different persons are gently helping you. I’m sure you wouldn’t have such a dedicated support with Facebook or any other social media out there. I’m sorry that you feel you are not helped enough, but this is taking a lot of time to me, time which isn’t spend on improving the software itself. Yes, you need to discover new terms, because they are also new concepts. You’ll see that “Aspects” are awesome. Get excited about it!
If you have precise suggestion about what could be change to improve your user experience, you’re still welcome share them.

You are taking one section out of context and twisting my words to suit your narrative. Where did I suggest this:

I did give you some concrete, precise ideas.
In short, develop it for idiots!

I am not interested in Facebook etal, I don’t give a rodents bottom about likes or follows. I ultimately want to develop a place where European brands and individuals interested in business success in China can meet, share ideas and learn. A useful helpful alternative to the sleazy, salacious, sensationalist “news” peddled by Facebook and mainstream media. (which are rapidly becoming one and the same now)

If you think Diaspora can fit my needs, we can move forward. If not, I am ready to give up and start planning my own platform.

And like you, every time I have to send a message is time I don’t have for my clients.

Cheers
P

diaspora* is set up very much as an inter-person social platform, not as a place to promote businesses. There’s nothing wrong with promoting business, but this platform doesn’t have a single feature to facilitate that. I don’t think you would find diaspora* suits your needs if you understood it.

As you seem unable to comprehend a simple, step-by-step guide for new users, I truly wish you luck in that endeavour.

Looking back over this now very long thread, it’s amazing to me what time and effort people have put in to trying to help you.

Sarcasm does not become you @goob and really should not have any place in a board such as this.

As I have said, both here and in several other posts around the web, if you are happy with the direction the platform is going in, then no problems.
But if want to popularise it to challenge existing media, then you need to address the criticism that abounds on the web.

Sure, what I say here is unimportant, it is the negativity at large you should worry about.
Don’t worry about my technical expertise, I am more than capable, it is, like you guys, time that is my enemy.

Best wishes for Diaspora.

I was not being sarcastic.

Check the definition of sarcasm.

I’m going to stop replying to this thread at this point.

1 Like

Okay, time for an Admin intervention, I guess.

@bicyu, the people responding to this thread have provided all the information we have available, and they have provided additional offers to help you directly. You have indicated that you don’t understand the documentation we have, and you have actively declined the offer for direct help via private messages and other means.

Nobody was being negative or sarcastic - quite the opposite. People went out of their way to attempt to help you to their best of the ability. There is no need to being aggressive or dismissive. It won’t bring you further in your goals to understanding diaspora*, it won’t improve the days of the people helping you, and it won’t make this community a better place.

If you have further questions, I encourage you to open specific threads with specific questions (“What is the concept of ‘Aspects’ all about?”). If you decided that you don’t like diaspora*, than that’s fine as well - there are many other project’s to check out that might fit your needs better (check out Friendica and Mastodon!) - but repeating the fact that you’ll now “give up” is also not really productive.

However, before starting a new thread or responding to an existing thread, please take a couple of minutes and re-read the rules and frameworks that have been shown to you while signing up to this site - including the FAQ, this Terms of Service, and this project’s Community Guidelines which apply to all communication platforms used by this project - not just this Discourse.

I will now lock this thread since your initial answer has been resolved (yes, you can create accounts for businesses), and the rest of this thread appears to drift into a highly unproductive environment.

1 Like