What does Diaspora Community mean to you?

Note: This discussion was imported from Loomio. Click here to view the original discussion.

Here are some ideas to start the discussion:
Please share:

1. what you want from the community?
  2. what you would like to contribute?
  3. what sort of culture do you want to see blossom?
  4. what improvements would you like to see made?
  5. what suggestions do you have to make such improvements?
  6. what do you see is working well/great/fantastic already?
  7. what would you have to see to believe that the community is what you think it should be?

:slight_smile: smile , this is sort of topic which can be held inside our diaspora software , isn’t it?!

No proposal needed - Involve many people - attract others to the inner circle of contributors - and so on.

… which brings me to the idea to supporting people who love transferring these background meta topics to a pod, posting it, refactoring the opinions of the people in the thread (on wiki ie) and reposting here on loom.io

madame, any special reason for not having this discussion in the governance group?

Yeah, btw what about moving threads and other admin features, is there a manual?

Grover, good question… I will e-mail Rich about it.

madamephilo: Did you mean to create a new group? Or just a new discussion?

@Brent et al: well I don’t know. It seems like the canter of the group is to discuss all this technical stuff. I was wanting to address the more general or high-level goals.

So I wanted to separate that out.

Governance seems to me to be more about our rules and actions. This discussion doesn’t seem to fit there.

It’s important to know where we are going as a whole. Not which protocols we use or which js libraries and frameworks. There should be a place to discuss what we are trying to accomplish on the macro scale and how to get there. Maybe that’s the strategy team, but we really need to say “what do the users want” (first) and then “how can we give them the tools and community to get there” (second).

@DaveY: Music to my ears.

OK I will try to be an example here:

What does Diaspora Community mean to me?

Community to me is more than the developers. Even though developers are a very valuable group in the overall makeup of the Community, Community is also the occasional Stream Surfer. Or Paddler, take your pick.

So that should define the ends of the spectrum of members of the Diaspora Community.

Community is also what the community does for itself to nurture itself. The raison d’etre for Diaspora was…

1. to share my content with people whom I want to share it.
  2. to control my data expediently with easy-to-use tools.
  3. to possess a reasonable feeling of privacy and safety with regard to my data being displayed and my interactions being discreet if I desire that (using 'nyms, aspects, hitting ignore, using filters, etc.)
  • (and maybe some other things…)

But I would also like to see that the Community that allows me:
A. to possess an easy understanding where to go for help, and to whom I can go to quickly to ask questions if I need help (Help can include teaching me to help myself).
B. to be vocal with fellow Sporians to the media and to legislators in my sphere of influence, in order to educate them what a safe, free web is all about, and what that actually means to me.
C. to organize with other Sporians to act meaningfully in our combined sphere of influence with the hope we might see a reversal in the rising tide of surveillance society, as represented by FaceBook.
D. to work with fellow Sporians to promote a diverse decentralized distributed social network all over the Internet, and even perhaps to assist or collaborate with other projects who share our same objectives and goals of a safe, free web that is privacy sensitive and non-commercial.

So that’s what Diaspora Community means to me. I mean that’s what I’d like it to mean to me.

What community mean to me ?

This : https://framapad.org/diaspora-community-users

Flaburgan, god point! in that list we find a mix of people with different backgrounds and skills. They are real, and they are interested in helping the community strive. And I’m sure we could find many more out there.

OK, so we have a bunch of interested people. That is great! Now what will we do with them? What is this community? And why aren’t all those people invited here to talk about what community is for them? Can we allow their voices here?

MP: That’s an interesting question. Right now, the way I see the Loom.io groups shaping up is there are 3 “team” groups, and 3 “proposal” groups. The 3 teams are Documentation, diasporaproject, and Strategy. There is not yet an evangelism, or Street Team.

Perhaps this group could be the grassroots Street Team, to help promote D*, and build community? Just an idea.

@Brent: I’m not against a street team. I sort of think all these “teams” is a little premature. I’m not saying I’m acting to block those activities :slight_smile:

It’s just that I’d think that stating the mandates of the community at large should be done first before deciding what to do to act and how to get there.

When I go on a journey I generally decide where I want to go first, or if I’m not driving, I want to know what the bus marquis is declaring as the destination, so that I know ahead of time that it’s where I want to go. Traveling adventures are not always like that, but if I’m being asked to contribute my time and my care, I think it is mandatory to want to have a basic idea that I want to go the same place as everyone else on the bus.

Once I know where I’m going, I pull out a map or a compass or both and figure out how to get there and then figure out what I need to make that journey. Then I act.

This is all going the other way around. Everyone is scrambling to get food, gas, clothing, but not saying if we are in agreement of where we are going. It doesn’t seem transparent from where I stand. And that makes me ask questions. I have invited some people to participate here, and some have declined because of the history. They want to know where we are going first.

You know the saying, once bitten, twice shy?

MP: I don’t think that anything is set in stone right now. We’re all learning new things here, and I expect it’ll be kinda crazy for awhile. =)