Add smileys support?

I also wouldn’t say diaspora has much of a design aesthetic currently. It’s mostly a bootstrap-esque design. I do not agree that smiley’s would be so detrimental to the design to not make them an option for people who want them. It would be easy to convert an emoji to its textual alternative for the NIMBY’s: http://www.emoji-cheat-sheet.com

Note that I’m not so much referring to to the tile as to the description. Also it doesn’t give the possibility to express the valid opinion to keep smileys in the chat but not integrate them anywhere else.

I am also concerned that there was already support for smiley’s but that support was ripped out with any community discussion
https://github.com/diaspora/diaspora/pull/1605

@roy2 there was generally very little community discussion in these days. Also that removed converting things like :-) to Unicode emojis, not graphical smileys

Do not the unicode emojis have graphical representations? http://apps.timwhitlock.info/emoji/tables/unicode

huh?

Also it doesn’t give the possibility to express the valid opinion to keep smileys in the chat but not integrate them anywhere else.

@jonnehass : It can be the subject of another proposition.

To make the proposition clearer :

Currently, the chat front-end converts text-smileys to graphic smileys.

I propose to add a feature to let the user disable this auto-convertion and extend the system to posts and comments.

If you intend multiple proposals then don’t mix the topics, make one for whether we want them in the chat and one for whether we want them anywhere else. And as said avoid questions, make a clear statement to a agree or disagree with.

I am also concerned that there was already support for smiley’s but that support was ripped out with any community discussion

That was when community didn’t have power to discuss. You might know things have changed :wink: (hint: no company behind the project, just a community)

I don’t mind smileys as long as it doesn’t auto-convert a combination of symbols to a graphic. I want my punctation to remain as I intended, and I also don’t want to have images in my text where there should be none.

A separate input method for inserting the unicode emojis (= “text”) with a nice icon font that matches our design could do the trick.

@roym Why is that ridiculous?

To expect people to be technical enough to locate an emoji image and also know markdown to embed the emoji as a solution to enabling emoji’s on the site is a ridiculous solution. Hope that cleared it up for ya @brentbartlett!

A separate input method for inserting the unicode emojis (= “text”) with a nice icon font that matches our design could better do the trick.

This is what I expected to do at first. Jappix has a text-smileys replacement system hard-coded. I wanted to modify it to let podmins have their own smileys. But I don’t want to spend too much time on that question. I didn’t expect that topic to be that long and controversial.

@roym Sure, THAT would be ridiculous, but there are probably better ways to do it. For example, you could have a menu which lets you select the emoji and then inserts the Markdown for you.

I notice that several people who have voted ‘yes’ to this proposal have expressed opinions in their comments which are opposed to this proposal, for example the most recent one, 'Maybe this can be done based on Emojis instead of graphics.

Which just goes to show that this isn’t a proper, clear proposal - which is why I haven’t voted.

Please vote block. I will too. I wrote the proposition the wrong way. I will open clearer one soon.

@augier, if you don’t want this proposal to continue, you can close it now (as you opened it).

@goob : just a matter of procedure. I don’t want the proposal to be relevant.