Now that the project site is being presented in different languages, I’ve noticed that some of the translations are much longer than the English ones.
Many of the passages were composed to fit a particular area (I didn’t know it was going to be translated when I wrote it), and in any case, some English expressions do not necessarily translate that well into other languages.
It would be good if there was a way for translators to see how their translation would fit onto the page, and to alter their translation accordingly. (I guess doing a comparative character count is one way of achieving this.) As long as the sense is the same, and the translation fits the images presented, I don’t think literal translations are required.
Note: This discussion was imported from Loomio. Click here to view the original discussion.