Change the image size in the mobile view

That’s also my opinion.

No. It is not. You pull requested a general increase of image resolution and the proposal text you wrote yourself asks about accepting this. If your opinion changed, change the proposal text. It’s not that hard.

Proposal: Change the image size with user setting

Currently, the images are displayed at thumb_large size (300px max). The proposition is about to add a user setting to make the stream display full_scaled (700px-inf) size in stream

Outcome: N/A

Votes:

• Yes: 3
  • Abstain: 2
  • No: 0
  • Block: 1

Note: This proposal was imported from Loomio. Vote details, some comments and metadata were not imported. Click here to view the proposal with all details on Loomio.

Ok, then.

Thanks.

In addition to the large file width, one would have to scroll forever which could be a bit of a pain on touchscreens.

I’ll add CSS to limit the displayed size. But in any case, the whole image will be downloaded.

Maybe a cropped 700x700 thumbnail would be better.

The idea is nice, but what would happen to previously uploaded images?

@asher3 : Why are you blocking? srcset is not a standard, it is a recommandation for now. I’m not against using it, but it can’t replace the current proposition right now.

@augier Srcset seems pretty standard to me. It is in the HTML standard and works in modern versions of Firefox (+ mobile), Chrome (+ mobile), Safari (+ mobile), Opera and under development for Microsoft Edge.

http://caniuse.com/#feat=srcset … I’d hardly call that “pretty standard” with only a 50% score…

Same here. We should stick to actual standards. I’m not against using it if possible. But not only it.

srcset loads the image based on the resolution, not on the internet connection. That means it forces a user with a big resolution to load the big image, even if they have a bad connection or their traffic is limited. So that doesn’t solve the problem here.

I’m okay with any responsive image solution to make the images larger but I don’t think making them larger as an user setting is the solution.

It is not about making them larger at all. Images are adapter to screen size. The question is about which file to display. When you upload an image on diaspora, multiple copies are made of it with mutiple sizes. The file currently displayed in stream view is the copy with the maximum width/height set to 300px an not the original file. This is to reduce the bandwidth consumption when displaying the stram. That discussion is about letting the user choose wether to display that file, or the high resolution copy (full_scaled size) of the image.

How about adding a link under each image in mobile view, ‘click to see a high-res version’ - or tap the image to see a high-res version - that way the stream won’t become more resource-heavy, but you can easily see high-res versions of the images you’re actually interested to see.

tap the image to see a high-res version

That already works :wink: The point is that 300px is kinda 90’s for modern mobile devices with unlimited data plans.

@goob that is how it is now, you can click the image to see the high-res version, but @augier thinks this click is too much.

@jasonrobinson the point is that not everybody has an unlimited data plan - sad but true …

@supertux88 yep, that is why the current proposal suggests a user setting.

Hm, maybe I have another solution: we could keep the 300px image in the stream and open using ajax the bigger image when the user tap on it. So to display the big image in front of the stream. This would allow to go back to the stream by closing the image, without reloading the stream, which is the actual annoying behavior.

That can be a part or the solution, but sorry, buddy, this is not what I porpose :wink:

(just posted on Github):

Pixel dimensions isn’t the only consideration. Even if a phone’s screen is 800px wide, if it’s only 3" across, the photo will still be small to the eye, and so a smaller image resolution would still be fine. I have never seen a phone the size of those screenshots on the Github PR!