Diaspora as Linkedin Competitor

Is it possible that diaspora has a page where it asks about our education and work, and connects people with that information? We could directly be challenging social network like Linkedin thus freeing professionals from proprietary software.

1 Like

Good idea, but I have a strong feeling that is not the direction the core team want to travel in. I am also looking for LinkedIn alternatives.

Hello,
Indeed, the job market network is a field where there isn’t any good open source alternative. However, as bicyu said, it would change a lot the way diaspora* is used currently so I don’t think this is the way diaspora* should go. The good news though, is that as diaspora* is free software, it is totally possible to reuse its code, including the federation part, to built a professional social network. If anyone wants to do this :wink:

it would be career drive which i dont think diaspora would wnat to do tha

Much as I hate to say it here, ActivityPub is probably a better choice for developing a federated LinkedIn replacement. If anyone wants to give this a go, I suggest starting out by trying to build it as a web app on top of an existing federation server like Pleroma. You may discover that you need server-side functions that no AP server currently offers, but if not, you can avoid having to reinvent the wheel on the server-side, and focus your energy on building a great UX.