Diaspora* - the next 12 months

I think you mentioned me by mistake, because your reply doesn’t relate to my comment.

We should propose some smart revenue-generation model which will fit to our ideology of opennes.

Why? We haven’t even agreed that we want a revenue-generation model yet. All discussion so far has been about donations, not generating revenue, and revenue-generation from within the Diaspora app has been rejected in the past.

By the way, do you have any connection to this Wordpress model? You are pushing it pretty hard. Do you stand to benefit from it if Diaspora were to join it?

As I say, if you want to continue with this proposal it really needs you to start a new thread for it, because it would be a major change in policy.

Maybe the discussion expanded too much. I won’t mind moving in to another tread, but I think diaspora should target this question soon.

I’m a content creator, who wants:

• free software for content creation
  • decentralized management and social features
  • social features upon request, for the described things above
  • the quality to be on the level of the paid software, so security, optimization and performance vulnerabilities.

I’m not related to WordPress, it’s just the leanest platform, with 60+mln users and hude community, which we could use.
I’m writing in the diaspora forum for first time and posting here + https://www.loomio.org/d/m9jIHRzh/funding-and-the-diaspora-project?utm_campaign=notifications&utm_medium=email&utm_source=new_discussion_created I just wanted to propagate idea we could use and unite for to extend the platform functionally

by ‘free’ I always mean licensed with the licenses of FSF, not free as a price. I don’t believe the quality could be free as a price.

In me opinion:

1. API
  2. Reconstruct templates and allow use own templates
  3. Pod manager for admins (Admins area) - better defined in API no need of visual template, this can be in future
  4. Add there new idea about information about pods (json information file)

In last point i’m interresed to built this change and recostruct the podupti.me page. Can I do this job?

1. I forget one point “Login with D*” button :slight_smile:

sorry about my english

I think API is the main priority, without API, D * is not totally free, it is extremely necessary for developed desktop, mobile web applications , also skins, also to interact with other free networks.

It would be good to improve the search system, combined search to find labels and user-label combining this enormus facilitate the organization of content, and the use of diaspora as a blog.

It seems an excellent idea to add to D * xmpp chat, but I recognize the difficulties to achieve, I think it is not a priority.

Yes, Api should be priority.
I have plan develop mobile app before, but without API is it suicide.

1. Federation - This is the foundation that everything else is built on. Until we have this, we don’t have a functioning distributed social network. COuld Pump.io be part of this future, making federation about more than just Diaspora pods (Friendica, MediaGoblin,Tent etc). We may not be able to take down Facebook alone, but maybe together…

2. Account migration - We promised it, and until it’s available and reliable, we will continue to run an expensive to host, fairly centralized service as it’s lack stops people trying and moving away from larger pods to newer pods. We’re also getting an increasing number of dead accounts where someone moves to a new pod and leaves their old account active.

3. Chat - Users expect it. If it isn’t here and they try us, we’ve lost them.

4. Api - Once federation and account migration make us ready for more users, and chat provides the main basic feature most of them seem to expect, a full API will allow larger platforms (eg Hootsuite, IM clients etc) to integrate D* and bring a much larger userbase.

5 Packages and liasing with providers of one click installers - Increase the number of pods to handle the extra load of point 3&4.

The “the next 12 months” discussion started 7 months ago. Now 7 month later, what’s the status quo?

API: https://github.com/diaspora/diaspora/pull/4554

We should split the big topics like federation, chat and account migration into smaller work packages.

I thought, with the end of the year coming up, it would be a good time to bump this thread and think about what we would wish, ideally, the project to achieve over the next 12 months.

1. Api - Once federation and account migration make us ready for more users, and chat provides the main basic feature most of them seem to expect, a full API will allow larger platforms (eg Hootsuite, IM clients etc) to integrate D* and bring a much larger userbase.

2. The implementation of four basic features : a. #events (friendica already has it); b. #groups (we need to get organized better and compete with other social networks, and the implementation of this feature is primordial); c. auto-refresh of content ( @augier is working on this, please check THIS THREAD ); d. editing of posts and comments;

3. Figuring out a way of collecting funds and distributing them to programmers and/or promoters who are willing to assist diaspora* into growing bigger and stronger via diasporafoundation or something else;

4. Changing the look and feel of podupti.me, as well as the look and feel of pods registration / sign in page (with surveys and other cool features, see THIS THREAD

5. It is a given fact that D* competes with facebook and other social networks. Whether we like it or not, diaspora* is an alternative social network. It seems normal to place ourselves in the context of concurrence, and be aware that facebook or google plus might borrow/ steal/ improve themselves by benefiting from our giving open source community. Legal aspects should be taken into account regarding this issue.

@camil : Please stop saying I’m working on something I’m not really working on. I just proposed a technology that could possibly solve the problem and I said I’d like to make a test when I have the time. That’s all :wink:

Alright, alright, you’re just working on testing a new technology :wink:

Ah… You’re obstinate, uh ? >.<