Discourse sent a message that my question was a spam?

Hello! I don’t quite get it.
Got a message that

This is an automated message from diaspora* Discourse to let you know that your post was hidden.
Cached user data breaks federation?
Your post was flagged as spam : the community feels it is an advertisement, something that is overly promotional in nature instead of being useful or relevant to the topic as expected.
Multiple community members flagged this post before it was hidden, so please consider how you might revise your post to reflect their feedback. You can edit your post after 10 minutes, and it will be automatically unhidden.

Is that right? Multiple people have flagged a system-related question as spam? Could someone check it before my brain pops?
Thanks!

Your post got nuked by our spamfilter because the spam bot found it highly suspicious that a newly created account is creating posts in fast succession and is posting multiple links to the same domain in fast succession, plus your email address has a very small levenshtein distance to email addresses used to create spam accounts before.

We do review all actions by our spamfilter, and in fact, I reverted the action because I even saw this post, because I treat spamblock mails with priority. So instead of having your brain pop, simply waiting a few minutes or hours is a much more healthy approach to this issue.

1 Like

@denschub thanks, that’s exactly what I thought but the problem is actually the message the automagic spam filter sends, since it states - as I have quoted - that "Multiple community members flagged this post before it was hidden" which would be a quite seriously reliable way to say it was indeed considered spam by many people here.

Since this is completely false it would be beneficial to replace it by, say,
“The automatic filter detected that your message may be spam, and forwarded it to our human heroes for review; we carefully check all reports and in case of a false warning we’ll un-hide your post.”

The filter flags a post for every positive spam check. Quite often, posts indeed only get flagged one time, resulting in a administrator message, but not in any user-visible action. In your case, the post got flagged by three different checks. As the checks are run by a third-party plugin, but the spam-hiding is actually done by Discourse itself, there is no way in actually differentiating the message here.

What we can do, though, is adjust the generic message to include both cases. Which is a thing already on my ToDo list. :wink:

1 Like