Don't automatically download NSFW post contents

A thought just occurred to me. (No, don’t act so surprised.)

Images displayed on a viewed web page could get stored in a cache, right? That being so, viewing a d* stream could result in some extreme images (including possibly some illegal ones) being stored in one’s computer’s cache, because content of NSFW posts is downloaded before being hidden behind the ‘shield’.

So it might perhaps be better to parse the NSFW shield before supplying content, i.e. omit that content from the stream and download it separately if someone clicks the ‘show’ link on the NSFW shield.

Otherwise many diaspora* users could have potentially illegal content on their computers without realising it.

What do you think? Am I talking nonsense again?

There is already an issue for that:

Oh sorry, I should have checked. I remember that issue now, but had forgotten that it was about NSFW content exclusively. I’ll delete this thread now (I think I can do that).

Nooooo! :crying_cat_face:

But seriously, unless it’s highly abusive, disruptive, spam, or super off-topic, there is no reason to delete a thread. If someone else searches for that feature here, it’s good to have this thread around, so people can find the github issue. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As I said, I won’t delete this thread now.

(Luckily I forgot to delete it as my supper was ready.)

2 Likes