Integrate (something similar to) PeerTube

PeerTube is an awesome idea that uses WebTorrents to torrent content from a server. Pretty much, if 3 million people want to watch a large video, the server might go down, because too many requests are being made.

But, with PeerTube, that won’t happen, because once a user has the content, the server will say to anyone else who wants the content “just take the video from that guy.” and not have to transfer a giant video.

Of course, stream checksums and that stuff will have to be made, but it look really promising.

*I am not affiliated with the PeerTube project, I just find it very interesting.

Here’s a link to PeerTube - https://github.com/Chocobozzz/PeerTube

Note: This discussion was imported from Loomio. Click here to view the original discussion.

1 Like

What would the use cases be? Videos are often hosted on youtube, vimeo and the like, and they seem to be managing it quite well, don’t they?
I guess the diaspora servers would then serve as a mediator between peers? What if people are sharing illegally?

The use cases would be having a place for your videos to go, free of censorship from companies and YouTube itself. YouTube has been under fire for revoking rights on people who make videos that they don’t agree with, and people are migrating away from it - https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6162278?hl=en. (Diaspora can’t fix this problem, but it won’t revoke rights)

Also, people who are offended by a review of something they made can ask for it to be taken down, and that’s the end of it.

Your final point is really good, however. If people are sharing, say, and entire movie that they pirated, that is a problem. The solution is pretty much just if the video is reported, the server can remove the thing that says “seed this guy for the video” and delete the video. This would cause problems with manual moderation, of course.

I can see the benefit in terms of censorship resistance. And, you know, 𝅘𝅥𝅮 copying is not theft. 𝅘𝅥𝅮

If someone on a pod were sharing strictly copyrighted files without permission, that’s not exactly the problem of the podmin. The podmin would be within their rights to shut down that account if they felt that was necessary.

Just so we’re clear (I haven’t clicked through yet) these videos would not physically reside on a pod, right? Just whichever machines happen to be seeding?